Final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klearn

Reaction score
HI everyone. Pretty new to home brewing. Did a few batches of beer and figured I would try hard cider. Stewed some cider at 180 degrees for an hour and added 2 1/2 cups of brown sugar. Just bottled it and it taste great after 3 weeks of fermenting. The original gravity was1.051 and it was .098 when I bottled. Apparently I'm so new to home brew that I can't do math. When I calculate It comes out to 12.36% abv. (that can't be right) when I calculate 1.051og to 1.000fg it comes out to 6.75. What am doing wrong? Appreciate the help.

Maybe I'm so new to home brew that I can't read a hydrometer. That makes more sense. Thanks!

Did you prime for bottling or just still? Because I bottled my first batch today and primed with corn sugar but I dont know how long it should take to carbonate. Any thoughts?

Good question. I primed also. Beer usually takes me a week and a half to prime but the cider was so clear I wasn't sure how much yeast was still suspended. When I moved to the bottling bucket, I decided to also siphon off a little of the yeast from the carboy to help with priming. I think I will let it sit for at least 3 weeks before sampling.

Latest posts

Back