final gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissionBrewer

Reaction score
Hey! I just bottled my first brew. I'm so excited!! One of the things I was wondering as I was bottling: what if I bottled it before the brew reached final gravity? Would it be bad? What would that do?

You would likely overcarbonate your beer. Could be bad depending on how much residual sugar was left in your beer when you bottled.

If it wasn't finished fermenting then it can be very bad. You could have just made a whole batch of bottle bombs. You should always check gravity and make sure it is finished and stable before you bottle..

I checked the gravity, it was right where the recipe said it would be. throughout the process I've had a ton of "what ifs" and "whys" in my head, I wanted to ask. I think the bottles are ok now, but I wasn't sure under what circumstances the bottles might explode (if I filled them too full, would they explode?), so I put them in a big plastic tub for the time being.

Actually, another question, off the subject topic but it fits in the conversation. The fermenting temperature was supposed to be something like 68-72 degrees. Now that the brew is in the bottles, does it need to stay at that temperature still, or can I say...put them in the fridge? I just bottled on Sunday so I can't drink them for two weeks.

Leave them at room temp until they carbonate to the level you want (check a few) then put them in the frig. The cold will stop most yeast activity and limit the risk of bottle bombs. If they are full right to the top then I would imagine the risk of bomb would be higher. Also just because the FG dropped to where the recipe said doesn't mean the yeast wouldn't have taken it lower. To know the yeast are done, you should wait until the gravity has stayed steady for a few days.

Back