Final gravity off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewn00b4

Reaction score
I made this kit three weeks ago. http://www.greatfermentations.com/downloads/instructions/beerkits/TidalStoutAG.pdf

12 lbs. Maris Otter Malt
1.5 lbs. Simpson’s Dark Crystal Malt
1.0 lb. Crystal 10L Malt
1.0 lb. Flaked Oats
1.0 lb. White Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb. Carafa III Malt

1.0 oz. Galena hops, added at the beginning of the 60 minute boil
0.5 oz. Columbus hops, added at the beginning of the 60 minute boil
1.0 oz. Cascade hops, added 10 min from the end of the boil
1.0 oz. Columbus hops, added 10 min from the end of the boil

I pitched a 2L starter with 3 yeast packs, and the airlock took off like a cat out of a box for 3 days before simmering down.

My OG was 1.078 (65-70% brewhouse efficiency)
After three weeks my gravity is at 1.032. The recipe says I should be sitting from 1.016 to 1.020

Is this close enough the be accounted for brewer error, or is fermentation not done yet?

Last edited:
What was the post boil gravity, or startling gravity supposed to be?

Did you use hydrometer and If so did you account for any temp over 60 degrees f

This is off topic, but it can save you some dineros the next time.

3 packs in such a small starter is a waste of two packs.

Agree that it is likely stalled (and that three packs of yeast is overkill.) You can pitch a vitality starter of San Diego Super (wlp090) and give the carboy a gentle swirl to see if it kicks up and finishes. Another option is wlp099 which might dry out the beer quite a bit more than 090. A less involved option is to swirl the carboy gently to see if that rouses the yeast, but generally doesn’t work. A last resort would be to add amylase which has been said to kill the body of the beer but will definitely drop the FG. There’s a ratio of how much to pitch for how many points you need the FG to drop. Don’t know off the top of my head.

I had a similar problem a few months ago and none of the above options worked, minus the amylase. The beer was, well, 1.020 and tasted as such. As an experiment I racked it onto some brett to see if would do anything long term.

Back