Final Gravity hit @ 1.012 - Carboy still churning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PricePeeler

Reaction score
I have gone .003 past Target Final Gravity but I still see Carboy activity.. Still churning in there..
Thoughts..
It's a Belgium blond style
Fermentation day 12

I am thinking to the keg it is..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What was the OG?
It will make a difference.
I have actually started at 1.097 and finished at 1.012.

A projected FG from a recipe isn't a target- it's a reasonable guess as to the possible finishing gravity from figuring out the yeast's average attenuation.

For example, the yeast strain you used has an average of attenuation of 74%.

That means for a beer with an OG of 1.065, the average FG would be 1.017. (Check my math- it's early and I'm on my first cup of coffee :D)

But the attenuation range is more like 72-76%, and of course can be higher or lower depending on ingredients used in the recipe.

Maybe this recipe has simple sugars, which would ferment far below the average attenuation since they are 100% fermentable. 12% ABV is easily achieved with that yeast strain.

In other words, if the beer is still fermenting it's not done even though it is below a FG that other beers of the same OG may have reached. Since that yeast strain is highly flocculant, it will clear when it is finished. I would not keg a beer that wasn't finished, as it will be better tasting once it is finished and the yeast has had a chance to floculate and the beer will clear readily at that time. THAT is the time to package.

Agreed that a recipe target is not FG. It is an estimate. If your beer still shows signs of fermentation - let it finish. If the beer is not clear that is another reason to leave it alone.

I would go at least 14 days and usually 21 or so. Longer as needed to get the beer to finish and clear up.

I kegged the last batch on day 10.
Fermented @ 68F
I think this one must have had a slow start.

Kegged at 11 days turned out great. Next item of business.. Get my mash temp consistent throughout grain bed and maintain consistent mash temp batch after batch..

Thanks for all the input friends. Generally I like to just wait things out, but I want to work on an accelerated timetable for some beers. Pro breweries are kegging in 10 days in some cases . Yes, I realize they have top of line equipment.

Thanks for all the input friends. Generally I like to just wait things out, but I want to work on an accelerated timetable for some beers. Pro breweries are kegging in 10 days in some cases . Yes, I realize they have top of line equipment.

It isn't that they have top line equipment, but that their beer is done and ready to package at day 10. This is for a variety of reasons, including the use of proper pitchrates (typically much higher than homebrewers use), pressure from conicals, controlled temps, etc.

I've had beers ready at 10 days, but there isn't a reason to keg it because it is day 10 in my opinion...

It isn't that they have top line equipment, but that their beer is done and ready to package at day 10. This is for a variety of reasons, including the use of proper pitchrates (typically much higher than homebrewers use), pressure from conicals, controlled temps, etc.

I've had beers ready at 10 days, but there isn't a reason to keg it because it is day 10 in my opinion...

Ok, so maybe I was typing a bit quick with this one. Yes they also have well defined processes to best utilize the long list of equipment they use including what you listed... Among other things.
Guess what I am saying is that I am working to improve my process with the system I have therefore reducing overall time to produce beer that is ready to drink. It would be great to have a couple that I can turn around quickly.

Back