Final Gravity for EC-1118?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently made some iced cider (juiced half-thawed apples). I decided to use some of the juice for an experimental non-sulfited fermentation. I pitched a large amount of EC-1118 starter. In short, I pitched champagne yeast but wild microorganisms are surely active. I want to keg/bottle this batch shortly because I am worried about spoilage.

The original gravity was 1.066, and for the past couple of days the SG has been 1.002. I am wondering what to expect for a FG with this yeast strain? I read that it would fully attenuate <18% ABV, so I was expecting it to go all the way to 0.990. I should also mention that after about 10 days of fermentation, I added a small unmeasured amount of Fermaid K as I noticed a sulphur smell and was advised this was a sign of a nutrient deficiency. The fermentation has been going for about 3-4 weeks now.

I would like to know whether adding more yeast nutrients would be adviseable to promote metabolism of the remaining sugars, whether I should leave it for more time, or whether this is a typical FG for my circumstances.

Thanks for the input,

Delaney.

It should go below 1.000, just give it time.

Give it a good swirl, i usually do this when it gets down to the last little bit of points to drop.

I doubt the wild yeast will be an issue, ec1118 should overpower them without problem.

It should go below 1.000, just give it time.

Give it a good swirl, i usually do this when it gets down to the last little bit of points to drop.

I doubt the wild yeast will be an issue, ec1118 should overpower them without problem.

All the way to 0.990?

Back