Final Gravity Differential

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
So I followed a recipe from The Joy of Home Brewing for an IPA (on page 173 if anyone cares lol). The recipe calls for an FG of about 1.014. What i've been reading for the past 3 days is an FG of 1.008. What could this mean and what are the consequences of this? Should I just disregard this as being unimportant?

Thanks

means your yeasties were happy in their home and pissed out more alcohol than expected. If you hit your SG, then your %abv is going to be a few points higher. Unimportant, really. You made beer :)

It means it fermented out a little more than it should have, will have a little more alcohol and a little less body and sweetness. Either way, it will still be beer and probably quite drinkable.

I used Nottingham Dry Ale yeast. It fermented about 22 - 23 degrees celcius. It was vigorous for the first 2-3 days.

You can never really predict how much of the sugar the yeast will eat. Any recipe that gives you a target FG is just giving it for information purpose. I don't think there is any way to stop at a target FG without adding some additive to stop fermentation (I think wine makers use sulfites). Either way, your yeast is going to do what it wills.

I used Nottingham Dry Ale yeast. It fermented about 22 - 23 degrees celcius. It was vigorous for the first 2-3 days.

That's very warm for ale yeast, and especially for nottingham. Nottingham gets sort of weirdly fruity at above 21C. I'd do my best next time to keep the beer cooler, or use a different yeast strain. I really like nottingham in American beers fermented at 15C-18C.

Back