Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrans84

Reaction score
As anyone tried filtering cider with a filter? A buddy of mine bought me a filtering system to filter from one keg to another. Has anyone used anything like this before? If so, can you give me any pointers and let me know what to expect?

It really depends on what type of filter your buddy has. I've been toying with the idea of getting a home sized filter, but they can be expensive.

In my experience a filter is best used with pressed juice (no need with clear supermarket apple juice), in addition to pectic enzyme, post fermentation, in the place of fining agents.

Not sure how fine you guys can filter, but a good one can filter the yeast right out of suspension giving you way more control over stopping fermentation and leaving some natural sweetness.

Well we have a 5 and a 1 micron filters. I guess I'm suppose rack into one keg, then use co2 pressure to push it threw the filter and into another keg. I have five of each filters. I have a general idea of why I'm suppose to do but.....

kewlio250 said:
does filtering with a coffee filter and a funnel into bottles count?

Counts towards a good way of oxidizing your nectar of the gods into a cardboard flavored oblivion.

Back