Filtering your wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Man

Reaction score
Question. I used a strainer during my last batch to filter all the hops n such and fermentation went well and after the secondary sat for a bit there wasn't much trub and the beer is crystal clear during bottling. Is this a secret of the trade or is this crazy. Thoughts anyone.

Have a look at this thread, especially if you ferment in buckets.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/strainers-5-gallon-buckets-128094/

I bought a 200 and 400 micron strainer and I've been using them for a couple months. It's been great so far; I have to use them both when I brew with a lot of hops, but my fermenters have very little trub.

I cracked open my first strained beer last week and it was great. The best part is I don't have to worry about hop bags anymore unless I'm dry hopping.

I've been straining for about a year now,& still use hop sacks. Grain sacks for whole leaf hops. Using bot negates having to use more than one strainer,or a super fine mesh one. I use 1 large fine mesh strainer to pour chilled wort & top off into primary. Pouring in a circular motion cause the liquids to come out the bottom of the strainer like rain,improving aeration a bit. Then stir roughly 5 minutes straight to mix well & aerate a bit more. I get maybe 1/3L of trub tops. I got 51 bottles out of my last 5G batch.

Yeah, I've used a little strainer and that took forever so my next batch I used a 5 gall paint filter 125 microns. Although it plugged rather quickly, the after effects were remarkable. I will stick with the filtering method. Thanks to all who commented.

You're welcome. I use a larger one since I have plastic FV's with large openings. It doesn't clog as long as I use hop/grain sacks for my hop additions.

Back