filtering issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insco2

Reaction score
okay im a kegger and i am going to try my firsta ttempt at bottling beer. this is my issue i am not very pleased with the clarity of my beer. what i am considering is filtering the beer through a 2 micron filter to clear it up. then i am going to pull a little yeast from an active yeast cake into the secondary and add my priming sugar. what do you guys think? i dont think ill need a lot of yeast maybe 5 seconds of a good pull from the cake. it might take a liitle longer for the beer to carb but the yeast will be hot and ready when i add it... any thoughts.. hazy beer urks me. if the big dogs can bottle age a clear beer why cant I?

2 microns or 1 micron will do a good job. Don't try to use a 0.5 filter. After you filter, put a pinch of Nottingham dry yeast in the bottling bucket. It is highly flocculate and makes a tight cake. Wyeast 1968 London ESB drops out like a rock, as well. In either case, a packet/tube should last many bottlings.

I wouldn't use a filter in your case. Since you are not moving beer between kegs, filtering will be rather cumbersome. I'd use a fining agent like gelatin (there is a paralell thread about this) in the secondary. Let it clear up for about a week and bottle with some well flocculating yeast (1056 or an english ale yeast like David suggested works well). That's what I did for my alt and it came out very clear despite the fact that the Alt yeast is a bad flocculator.

Kai

i have a whole house filter i would go from primary to secondary, in a corny and dry hop. from there through the filter into a second keg and pitch some yeast and priming sugar, finally to bottles. possible?

Back