Filtering Disaster Last Night: Blackberry Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I have a Brewhemoth Fermenter and last night I tried to filter and keg a new beer recipe with blackberry puree in it. What a disaster. After about 1.5 hours of cleaning and sanitizing I tried to filter using a 5 micron. I tried three times and each time I'd get 20 seconds into filtering and have a massive filter clog. I'm going to try again tonight but use the coarsest filter I can find. Hoping it goes better tonight or else I'm stuck. Supposed to be for a friends wedding...luckily I have some backup kegs ready to go just incase.

My guess is the seeds are your problem. I would consider racking off the berry puree from the top crash or let those settle for a day or two and then filtering keg to keg rather than from the fermenter.

My guess is the seeds are your problem. I would consider racking off the berry puree from the top crash or let those settle for a day or two and then filtering keg to keg rather than from the fermenter.

Yep, seeds are the issue. Going to give it one more shot tonight and then do what you've suggested.

Back