filtering beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdphillips73

Reaction score
Been brewing for a year and want cleaner, clearer beer. I brew all grain 10 gallon biab batches, I add whirlfin near end of boail, then wort is ran through a blickman plate chiller into carboys. I ferment at 62 degrees, then cold crash near freezing before kegging in a keezer i built.

I would like to run the cold crashed beer through a 1 micron filter before entering my keg. Ive seen several videos on youtube and want to know if anyone has any experience with this.

I was determined to make this work at one point but I could not get it to work. I never could get the cartridge style filters to do a well enough job. I think a multi plate style set up that bigger breweries would be ideal if they weren't so expensive. Can also oxidize the beer pretty badly if you aren't careful. Now I am just sticking to the basics. Hot break, cold break, whirlfloc, good cold crash, careful racking, proper gelatin regimen, and either a shortened dip tube on keg or my beer bright system that pulls from the top of the keg. I am achieving some very good clarity.

I've heard of all sorts of problems with filtration post fermentation on the home brewing scale. Some people have had good success with gelatin. Take a cup or two of the fermented beer, add a packet of unflavored gelatin, slowly pour over the top of your beer, and wait 5-7 days. I have a conical so doing this would be easy. Not sure how easy it would be in carboys, but the principle is the same.

I brew 10 gallon batches and I use 2 whirlfloc tablets 10 minutes before the end of the boil. I crumble up the tablets when adding them. I also cold crash. My beer usually comes out pretty clear.

I have done all the above and filtered. To keep from oxidizing, purge the recipient keg with CO2, keep closed and be sure your transfer pressure is greater than recipient pressure. 1 micron might end up clogged towards the end of the transfer. You will need to relieve pressure as you go. I have the house water system type filter from NB or MoreBeer. Can’t remember who I bought it from. Good luck.

not familiar with home filter set ups but commercially its generally done in stages- 10 micron, then 5, then 1. better throughput.

if you can purge adequately then two canisters could work. say a 10 then 1, or 5 then 1.

What’s the reason for filtering?

Tons of work and money for what small difference it makes

Use Whirlfloc in kettle, ClarityFerm in fermenter, then cold crash for at least a week. Once cold, use gelatin and let it settle for about 3-5 days. Package. The beer will be very clear at this point....you really don't need mechanical filtration. We use a centrifuge to remove yeast but you can do the same with time and temperature.

Use Whirlfloc in kettle, ClarityFerm in fermenter, then cold crash for at least a week. Once cold, use gelatin

what do you guys get out of the clarityferm ? as i understood it was for chill haze, and also now used for gluten reduction.

is it a standard SOP or just for your bright beers?

Follow your process with whirlfloc, chilling, fermenting, and kegging. Then add gelatin (teaspoon dissolved in 1 cup 150 degree water ) to the cold beer in keg and it will be crystal clear in 4-5 days max. Try this before investing in filtering. Best thing I have found to get clear beer.

what do you guys get out of the clarityferm ? as i understood it was for chill haze, and also now used for gluten reduction.

is it a standard SOP or just for your bright beers?

Yes, ClarityFerm is for chill haze which is caused by protein. Gelatin is used for yeast so using both helps take care of both issues that cause haze in beer.

Gelatin will clear chill haze, as well. Just need the beer to be cold (>40f) before adding. I crash down to 32f, then hit with gelatin, then keep cold crashed for 2-3 days more minimum and end up with commercially clear beer before it goes into the kegs. Added bonus of doing it this way? Kegs are stupidly simple to clean.

Back