Filtering because of an accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r_marczak_83

Reaction score
So, I thought I'd try the irish moss route to clear my pale ale up before going into the primary. I dumped the whole package into the boil instead of 1 tbs or something like that.
The primary is very murky (cloudy) and is a day or two away from dry hopping in secondary. Only about the top 1" is clear looking.
Can I filter all of the suspended solids with cheesecloth or similar?

So, I thought I'd try the irish moss route to clear my pale ale up before going into the primary. I dumped the whole package into the boil instead of 1 tbs or something like that.
The primary is very murky (cloudy) and is a day or two away from dry hopping in secondary. Only about the top 1" is clear looking.
Can I filter all of the suspended solids with cheesecloth or similar?

Gelatin and coldcrash (@32F) and a few days would do wonders for your beer. I would NOT pour the beer through cheesecloth as it will no doubt oxidize the crap out of it and possibly introduce bad players. It'll taste nasty pretty quickly after that.

I dont have access to a spare fridge or such to get it to 32*. I have to rack anyway and would use a funnel with cloth in it and on bottom of the funnel have a tube to minimize aeration.

Should I try the gelatin then?

Gelatin and coldcrash (@32F) and a few days would do wonders for your beer. I would NOT pour the beer through cheesecloth as it will no doubt oxidize the crap out of it and possibly introduce bad players. It'll taste nasty pretty quickly after that.

Wont it still ferment after racking into secondary? Wont co2 eliminate any o2 that was introduced?

Wont it still ferment after racking into secondary? Wont co2 eliminate any o2 that was introduced?

It will only continue to ferment if its not done. And if its not done I wouldn't move it off the yeast untill they finish up. There is no need to secondary unless aging on wood or adding fruit.

So... what I would do,

Listen to what your beer is telling you, its starting to clear so don't touch it and see what happens in the next few days, if its not clearing fast enough for you then you can try to hurry it along. Cold is your friend and you would be surprised how much you can drop the temp with a swamp cooler but it will take a good bit of ice.

After it clears dryhop and then package. It will continue to clear after packaging.

It will only continue to ferment if its not done. And if its not done I wouldn't move it off the yeast untill they finish up. There is no need to secondary unless aging on wood or adding fruit.

So... what I would do,

Listen to what your beer is telling you, its starting to clear so don't touch it and see what happens in the next few days, if its not clearing fast enough for you then you can try to hurry it along. Cold is your friend and you would be surprised how much you can drop the temp with a swamp cooler but it will take a good bit of ice.

After it clears dryhop and then package. It will continue to clear after packaging.

Thanks

Back