Filtering and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kricks111

Reaction score
Has anyone tried filtering an IPA prior to dry hopping? I believe the beer would have a protein haze after dry hopping, but filtering prior to would get rid of yeast and unwanted bitter proteins for a more clean beer and leave the wanted hop oils. Also, drinking unfiltered yeasty beers aggravates my gout.

My comment not specific to IPA, but no filtering here, wirlflock at end of boil, initial trub kept out of fermentor as much as possible, trub dumps & check attenuation, ( I like 1.010-1.008 range for what I am brewing) timely cold crashing and conditioning at 33F for at least a couple weeks. About 3/4 inch cut off dip tube. Clear tasty beer, what could be bad?

Nope, never tried.

Cold crashing (or as close to 32F as you can get) for a few days to a week should clear pretty much any beer. Use gelatin to speed up or improve the process.
IMO, there are no advantages in filtering before dry hopping.
  • Ferment for 1-2 weeks (do not secondary, it's definitely not needed)
  • Dry hop 3-5 days before cold crashing/packaging
  • Cold crash for a few days to a week, longer if needed, with or without the use of gelatin
  • Package beer (bottle or keg)
If you find there are still elements left in the clear or mostly clear beer that interfere with your health (gout in your case), look at a filtering system. But you need to make sure you can purge the filter system with CO2 before transferring any beer or you will badly oxidize the beer you send through the filter system. Oxygen is beer's enemy, especially hoppy beers.

Typically, inline canister filters are your best bet. Filter in 2 or 3 stages to prevent early plugging up. Use 2 filters, a "pre-filter" of 5 micron and connect the output to a fine 1 or 0.5 micron filter to trap the yeast. You put these 2 filters between 2 kegs.
I've read those filters can even be cleaned and reused, not 100% sure if that really works. They may need to be frozen after cleaning and sanitizing to prevent spoilage.

Here is a start:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/08/27/filtering-home-brewed-beer/

Last edited:
I’m using these clear beer floating screened pick up lines. Dry hopping in keg. Pleased with results so far. I can’t cold crash below about 38F in my fridge based fermentation chamber. Really wish I could get to 32 or so but just not possible on my system.

I’m using these clear beer floating screened pick up lines. Dry hopping in keg. Pleased with results so far. I can’t cold crash below about 38F in my fridge based fermentation chamber. Really wish I could get to 32 or so but just not possible on my system.

Clear beer floating screened pick up lines? How does this work?

Latest posts

Back