Filtered water for city man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what's IN your water.

The water from my tap has chlorine and chloramines (those water reports the city mails out ARE actually good for something!). I plan on treating my water this time with campden tablets since I am sick and tired of using bottled water.

Unless you are using a RO system, a carbon filter system will not remove chloramines.

Before you invest in a filtration system, find out what's in your water, and perhaps even the pH/gh/kh of the water to figure out if it will impact what you're trying to brew. I seem to recall that in general, harder water is somewhat better for brewing than soft water.

Had an RO system for a while back when I was raising delicate freshwater aquarium fish. It used a LOT of waste water to make 1 gallon of RO water, and unless you use the runoff for laundry, cleaning, etc. it's really a big pain in the ass.

YMMV

I crush Campden tablets and mix them to my water at least 24 hours prior to brewing. Campden frees up chlormine so that it will dissipate off water almost instantly. One tablet is enough to treat 20 gallons of water.

Back