Filter Yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewsBrews

Reaction score
So I made a batch of pale ale, and had the thermometer break inside during boil, made sure and strained the whole batch(took a while) to make sure there were no bbs left. Well I usually leave my batches in one car boy during the ferment, but this time went with a secondary just to give another once over, and strained it when transfer to secondary. I left a little bit of liquid with the yeast cake at the bottom, my question is, will leaving the yeast cake out of the second ferment process hinder the final product? (I let the batch sit in the primary for 10 days before transfer)

There should still be yeast in suspension but they can have the tendency to stall. What was the gravity of the sample when you transfered it? You were deffintly smart to leave a significant portion behind since i wouldnt want glass in my beer.

Well thats good that it should be fine. The gravity was 1.05, Im going to filter it once more when bottling. Since most of the ferment process has already been done, I wasnt worried to much about exposing it a little bit when transfering to secondary.

Wow. I'd be SUPER careful with that. Glass can break into fairly small fragments. Any straining that would get out all of the glass would probably take out all of the yeast in suspension as well. BUT if you let it sit and then carefully take out the top portion of beer you might be ok.

I'd personally throw it out though. I'm not a fan of getting rid of beer till its all finished but if my health is at stake, I'd gladly waste the beer.

I found the glass piece that broke, it stayed in one solid piece and I put it up the the thermomiter and it fit, but I also filtered the enitre batch through coffee filters before putting into the primary, so I am not to worried.

Back