Filter out hop pellet gunk via recirculating wort through mesh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdebonth

Reaction score
Does anyone use a march pump to recirculate the wort after boil (hop gunk included) from the bottom of the boil pot up and back into the top of the boil pot passing it through a fine mesh hop bag (or stainless mesh) to collect the hop material?

Seems like a nice way to deal with hop gunk to me, no messing around with hop spiders during boil for better utilisation, just wondering if match pumps are OK to pump hop gunk and if this works to effectively take out all the gunkyness?

Pellets or whole hops? In my experience, you really run into problems with March pumps (806/815) if you try to run whole hop bracts (leaves) through them. Might work for pellets if the gunk is dilute enough not to clump in the pump.

The question is really - how much extra wort volume are you actually saving by going through this effort. On the homebrew scale you're almost better off to throw into an extra 1lb of base malt, scale the recipe by 2%, and just collect what you need.

Just my two cents.

pellets only.

scaling the recipe by 2% is a fair point!

I filter through a 5gal paint strainer bag when going into the fermenter, super easy

Rick

Back