filmy carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodgertown

Reaction score
so I have a few carboys that no matter how much I clean them, when they dry they have this dull film, on the inside. It's pretty annoying. I have the carboy cleaner that goes on the drill.

Ugh, please advise.

Could just be mineral film leftover from the rinse water evaporating. Are these glass or plastic? What do you clean and rinse them with? Mine are usually a little spotty/filmy on the inside. As long as there isn't chunks of crud still stuck inside, I just set them aside until its time to sanitize them and rack into them.

I use Crosby & Baker's B-BRITE.

These are glass carboys. I'm a photographer, so I have a thing about clean glass, is this an issue? It's not chunky at all, lol. It's just a rainbow colored sheen, you're right, it's probablly from the rinse water. Will this have any ill effects?

I don't think you'll have any problems. My normal procedure for cleaning glass and/or better bottles is a hot soak in Oxyclean Free, usually overnight followed by several warm rinses, let dry and cap until needed. If I find that the Oxyclean just doesn't get the job done, I'll do a hot soak in PBW and that almost always works. Either way, I almost always have spots and/or some leftover film from our hard water. If you it really bugs you, you could do a final rinse with distilled water, but that may still not get you perfectly clear glass.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking distilled water, but maybe some extra rinses will do.

Do you ever use your dishwasher?

I get a film when I use oxiclean, I switched to pbw and have no film issues. A little acid in the carboy will remove the film.

Latest posts

Back