Filled my first keg!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddibbern5

Reaction score
What’s the best way to carbonate your beer?
I did some research & I found three theories...
1. Set to pour pressure and let sit for 1-2 weeks.
2. Set to a high pressure ~30-40psi and let sit for 18 hours then release to pour pressure.
3. Set to 30-40 psi & shake for some time, then release to pour pressure.

Option 3 & 2 are technically force carbonation? (or is 3 just force carb & 2 some type of hybrid?)
Some have reported off flavors when “force carbing”.
Do you see that? (Option 2 &/or 3)

Right now I have the keg in my keezer but disconnected from CO2 however pressure was set to 30 psi before disconnecting... I’m only doing that because I’m in a hurry for it to be ready![emoji2][emoji51]
I may not do that next beer if it doesn’t produce as good of a beer..?
Advice and experience are much appreciated!

Won’t it carb by just sitting? Or just quicker by shaking? Off flavors/ possibly from o2 in keg?

I always force carb. I set to 30 psi for 24 hours, then bleed the keg and set to intended pouring temperature. I usually turn it sideways while hooked up to 30 psi and shake it around. I don't "start the clock" until the beer has been in the fridge for a few hours and had time to cool down so more co2 goes into solution. Today I kegged a beer at 60 degrees and hooked it up to 30 psi, but I didn't "start the clock" until a few hours later when it had time to cool down.

This process has worked well for me. Usually after 24 hours I'll try it and it usually not completely perfect...so I give it another day or 2 at pouring pressure to even out and go easy on it for the first week or so.

Won’t it carb by just sitting? Or just quicker by shaking? Off flavors/ possibly from o2 in keg?

Heres exactly what I do...

I hook up the CO2, pull the pressure release valve 6 times to eliminate any oxygen in the headspace.

Disconnect the CO2 and pull again.

Then I hook the CO2 up to the out post, so it bubbles up through the beer. Shake until it stops bubbling. Swap the CO2 back to the in post. Repeat the next day.

You don't risk overcarbing with this method. Though you do risk getting beer in your gas line if you leave the gas connected to the beer out. But who's dumb enough to do that. Twice. :smack:

Those methods are all force carbing (forcing CO2 into the beer under pressure) as opposed to naturally carbing with sugar and yeast. Burst carbing (i.e. #2 and 3) is where you use higher than your equilibrium pressure to force carb more quickly. You run the risk of overshooting if you leave it there too long, or if you shake it at that higher pressure.

Heres exactly what I do...

I hook up the CO2, pull the pressure release valve 6 times to eliminate any oxygen in the headspace.

Disconnect the CO2 and pull again.

Then I hook the CO2 up to the out post, so it bubbles up through the beer. Shake until it stops bubbling. Swap the CO2 back to the in post. Repeat the next day.

You don't risk overcarbing with this method. Though you do risk getting beer in your gas line if you leave the gas connected to the beer out. But who's dumb enough to do that. Twice. :smack:

By putting QD gas fitting on beer post doesn't that damage the QD fitting?

Thanks Brian!
Interesting putting the CO2 on the out Pkrd. I have no chance of getting my beer in my gas line today... Manifold doesn’t show up until Tuesday...lol [emoji51]

Thanks for the clarification chickypad, makes sense. Unfortunately I don’t have enough kegs (or patience) to worry about natural carbonation.... [emoji2]

25lbs for 24hrs, 15lbs for 24hrs, 10lbs for 24hrs, serve. I will shake it for about 30sec a few times throughout the first day. Has worked great on all styles of beer for me.

Back