Figuring out water loss to mash grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyMac81

Reaction score
I'm a recent all grain convert and am coming up short on some boils. I shoot to get about 6.5 gallons of wort to boil and have been using 1 gallon of loss for 10# of grains. Does anybody have a better method than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use 1 pint per pound and it has been close enough for me.

So I would calculate that 10# of grain would absorb 10 pints, or 160oz, or 1.25 gallons.

I really don't calculate it. I just measure the volume I get with the first runnings. Then I just sparge with the difference. For example if I mash with 4 gallons and get 2.5 gallons out. I then just sparge with 4 more gallons if I want 6.5 in the kettle. The grain has absorbed all that it will and the dead space is already full, so whatever amount you sparge with will all come out.

I consistently lose 0.13 gal per pound of grain. Many brewers use this value too. You're using 0.1, which is why you keep coming up short. You may also have some dead space that you need to account for.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

brew365 has a good calc that has some constants and you input the variables, and I believe grain absorption is one of the constants. After so many brews though, I figured that I can get roughly 45% return. So if I mash with 3 gal, I can expect a first runnings total of 1.35 gal. Then subtract that from my expected pre boil volume to get my sparge volume. I use a keggle with a false bottom though. In short, next brew day, just record the amount of water you mash with regardless of what water to grist ratio you use, and then record your first runnings volume. Divide first runnings volume by total mash volume to get your %.

Back