FG way higher than expected, is it done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brunomoises

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a witbier that has been fermenting for 25 days at about 73ºF (some three days early on it got to 77ºF). The FG has remained at 1.018 for about 10 days now.

This would normally mean to me that the beer is ready for bottling. However, I my initial gravity was 1.051 and I used Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier (attenuation 72–76%), so my FG should be around 1.013 or 1.014.

Why has it stopped fermenting at a higher FG than expected? Can I assume it is really done and safe to bottle?

b.

If it's been there for that long my gut would tell me it's done fermenting. But my questions are the temp you took you original reading and if you're correcting for the temperature. That said, the difference in abv is about a .5% (4.3 vs 4.8) Is this an all grain batch? How much yeast did you use?

If it's been there for that long my gut would tell me it's done fermenting. But my questions are the temp you took you original reading and if you're correcting for the temperature. That said, the difference in abv is about a .5% (4.3 vs 4.8) Is this an all grain batch? How much yeast did you use?

yes, i corrected for the temperature. so when i say the OG was 1.051 and the FG is 1.018, that's the actual gravity after correcting for temperature.

it's not all grain. i used one wyeast packet, which should be more than enough for that OG.

Figure it out for yourself if you want to get an attitude.

Easy there champ! - From where I'm sitting, I didn't read any attitude there, just that he was trying to clarify his original statement.

To answer the OP, depending on the age and quality of the extract you were using, it's possible that the extract just wasn't quite as fermentable as ideal. Now, in my extract batches, I never ran across it - but I read all the time here on HBT that it's pretty common for extract to finish up in the 1.020 neighborhood for exatly this reason. Could be that's what you've run up against.

Extract usually finishes higher than all grain. I'd think you are done fermenting

I wouldn't say 1 packet is more than enough. You still under pitched, especially if the wyeast packet was a little older. 2 packets would have been better for 1.051

Go to mrmalty.com and use their yeast pitch rate calculator to determine how much yeast you need. According to mrmalty you need 1.8 packs for 5 gallons of 1.051

Easy there champ! - From where I'm sitting, I didn't read any attitude there, just that he was trying to clarify his original statement.

yes, i was just answering the question.

To answer the OP, depending on the age and quality of the extract you were using, it's possible that the extract just wasn't quite as fermentable as ideal. Now, in my extract batches, I never ran across it - but I read all the time here on HBT that it's pretty common for extract to finish up in the 1.020 neighborhood for exatly this reason. Could be that's what you've run up against.

wow, i didn't know that. i haven't done extract in a while and i don't think i had had this problem before. that must be it. thank you!

Extract usually finishes higher than all grain. I'd think you are done fermenting

I wouldn't say 1 packet is more than enough. You still under pitched, especially if the wyeast packet was a little older. 2 packets would have been better for 1.051

Go to mrmalty.com and use their yeast pitch rate calculator to determine how much yeast you need. According to mrmalty you need 1.8 packs for 5 gallons of 1.051

damn, really? i can't remember the exact dates but the packet had been recently bought from Midwest and the manufacture date was very recent. i only use two packets when i go near 1.070, and i've never had a problem before even though i pitch straight from the packet (no starter).

damn, really? i can't remember the exact dates but the packet had been recently bought from Midwest and the manufacture date was very recent. i only use two packets when i go near 1.070, and i've never had a problem before even though i pitch straight from the packet (no starter).

im sure your beers have been just fine. you can usually get away with just pitching from the packets, but it is not ideal. Starters are the best and cheapest way to grow cells. and if you pitch the proper amount, i bet you will see an improvement in your beers. just somethin to think about

good luck. for the record, i also didn't detect an attitude :mug:

Back