FG too high??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnskiinvt

Reaction score
Made a smoked maple porter and thought I was gonna bottle today, however, my FG is 1.024! My OG was 1.076. This is a partial grain recipe. I added the maple just after initial fermentation ceased/airlock calmed down. It's been in primary for 20 days and stayed at about 72 degrees throughout. What do I do to get that down? Let it sit longer? Check gravity next week? Also, I'm not happy with the lack of maple flavor? Can I and when could I add more? Plz help a thirsty brewer?!! Thanks!!

Made a smoked maple porter and thought I was gonna bottle today, however, my FG is 1.024! My OG was 1.076. This is a partial grain recipe. I added the maple just after initial fermentation ceased/airlock calmed down. It's been in primary for 20 days and stayed at about 72 degrees throughout. What do I do to get that down? Let it sit longer? Check gravity next week? Also, I'm not happy with the lack of maple flavor? Can I and when could I add more? Plz help a thirsty brewer?!! Thanks!!

What yeast did you use? Have you taken consecutive gravity readings a few days in a row? I'm guessing you used maple syrup (hopefully 100% pure)? Also, imparting maple flavor can be challenging as it can ferment out easily. You can always add more, but I would add a little at a time so you don't overdo it.

-D

my FG is 1.024! My OG was 1.076. ... I added the maple just after initial fermentation ceased/airlock calmed down.

I assume your gravity reading was before the maple was added. How much maple did you add? Did you check your reading after adding syrup? It is possible that you pushed up you gravity beyond what the yeast can handle. Maple syrup also does not all ferment out. It will contribute to FG and final sweetness.

Yes, the OG reading was before adding the maple. I used 16oz . I did not check gravity til just now...17 days after adding the maple

It's possible that the yeast got a little stressed and stalled without a starter on a 1.070+ beer. I would try repitching if you want to drop it further, but also taste it. If it tastes good and is done fermenting, why not? And adding on to the maple flavor, maybe transfer to a secondary and then add more maple.

-D

I assume your gravity reading was before the maple was added. How much maple did you add? Did you check your reading after adding syrup? It is possible that you pushed up you gravity beyond what the yeast can handle. Maple syrup also does not all ferment out. It will contribute to FG and final sweetness.

In my experience, maple syrup is just as fermentable as other sugars. I had a maple wine, nothing but maple syrup and water (plus nutrients and such, but no other fermentables), go from 1.090 to 0.990. Drier than wines and ciders of a similar gravity.

Definitely leaves a PERCEIVED sweetness (much like the flavor of honey can seem sweet, with or without actual sugar content). But I'd say it can ferment dry as anything else.

Back on topic to the OP, depending on how much extract you used and what brand, what mash temp you used for the grain portion, and the fact that you didn't use a starter and used an English yeast (albeit a higher attenuating one than other English strains), it may well be done where it is. I don't think a pound of maple syrup on top of what you had would push that yeast over its limit, but it is getting to the upper range. I'd try rousing the yeast and warming the fermenter, but if that doesn't drop it it probably won't drop further.

Back