FG seems to be fixed (IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhaegar92

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a possible solution to a FG issue I'm having.

OG: 1.060
Malt Bill:
9Lb Pearl Malt
0.5Lb Crystal 40L
0.6Lb Carapils

178F mash in; 158F mash temp for 60 mins -> 157F when the mash was over.
Collected around 4 Gallons for boil (60 min boil)

I used a yeast started for 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup DME and Conan yeast that I've been using for several IPAs harvested from a fresh can of Heady months ago. It's worth noting the starter was from another starter that I refrigerated for over a month, poured off the fermented liquid and added fresh DME. The mason jar that I do my starters in was forming quite a bit of CO2 upon swirling and some krausen was forming (it was a last minute brew day so I didn't have a ton of time to get the yeast going - in my experience Conan is a savage yeast and 3-5 hours is plenty of time for a chilled culture to start destroying sugars)

I've also done this before and used this yeast several times with no issues. I never gave much of a damn about my FG/OG in the past and have been some very good IPAs with my Conan culture, so I don't think it's the yeast. I also added yeast nutrient during the boil.

I picked up a F**KTON of sulfur odors a few days into the fermentation which was horrifying, but after some research it's apparently not uncommon for this to occur with Conan - it dissipated within a day anyways and went back to the odors I expected.

Anyways, I pitched the yeast on 2.18.16. I'm definitely going to give the beer longer in the primary (another week perhaps), but in my past experience, Conan demolishes the beer to the FG of around 1.010 within a week. I only cared because I was going to dry hop a few days ago on the assumption the beer was finished - it seems to be stuck at 1.022FG. I gave the finished product a good stirring (careful of the minute O2 exposure everyone freaks out about :p ) with a sanitized spoon 2 days ago to resuspend the yeast, so hopefully that can get the job done. If in a few days it still hasn't budged, I'm going to spike the beer with some corn sugar and more nutrient + stirring. If that doesn't work, the dry hop will go on and the beer will be bottled.

It's also for sure worth mentioning that the beer still has an acrid bitterness that I taste in the wort immediately after the boil - this has usually been removed in a little over a week so there's definitely some yeast magic that needs to happen to finish the beer up. The beer was also remarkably clear before I gave it a stirring, so flocculation definitely occured.

I also ferment in my basement (59-64F depending on the day - we've had some arctic days here in MA...) to keep everything on the colder side to avoid the hefeweizen flavors that Conan can impart. This has worked in the past but I think it might've gotten too cold at some point during fermentation and caused the yeast to surrender near the finish line. It's currently trying to be finished in a warmer part of my house (again after resuspension), so hopefully that can kick the yeast back into shape.

Yet another side note, I took a small sample of the beer to get a storage starter going. A very tiny amount of the beer yielded a massive, aggressive fermentation in the starter, so it is definitely not yeast health.

And no, I seriously doubt it is contamination. I am a biology grad student and am OCD about sanitary/sterile technique. I wear sanitized gloves at every step after the wort is chilled for pitching. The flavor is that of a slightly unfinished IPA, not of an infected beer or a mixed fermentation culture.

Thank you for any help you can provide! I think I have a solid strategy to kick this thing down some points, but any and all input is welcome :mug:

You mashed an IPA at 158??? thats why its sickeningly sweet

that and you need to warm it up close to 70. Its not going to impart any flavor and Conan doesnt have "hefe" flavors just FYI

High mash temp will result in high FG. I've never mashed anything anywhere close to 158 F.

You mashed an IPA at 158??? thats why its sickeningly sweet

that and you need to warm it up close to 70. Its not going to impart any flavor and Conan doesnt have "hefe" flavors just FYI

^^^*This!!! Your mash temp was much too high!
I'd guess it should have been 152°F MAX. At that temp you wiped out your beta amylase & generated far too many non-fermentables (hence the sweetness ).

Long time lurker, started brewing weeks ago, having a question about this topic:
Do dry hopping could help balance the taste in this case?
Is ther any way to measure the right amount of hop to add?

Well it seems like an obvious problem and fix (for next time)! I spiked it with a 1/4 cup DME in 1 cup water + tsp of yeast nutrient and got it down to 1.020, and it tastes relatively okay. Certainly a bit "dirtier" but it's not overly sweet or malty - if anything it's a hair too bitter from hops and I think that'll mellow out with carbing. I'm going to go forward with the dry hop since the hop aspect and aroma is quite good. I have a hunch that 3 weeks into a bottle this'll be a delicious IPA...just slightly lower ABV and a different malt profile than I'd prefer.

The mash temp was high relative to the accepted range of mash temps, but it was not "too high." Lagunitas IPA is mashed at 160F. Search for the related "Can You Brew It" episode with Jamil Z. and listen to their head brewer relay the info directly.

Latest posts

Back