Fg Seems a little high???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale a few weeks ago. It has been in the secondary 8 days. No more activity from it at all. Its very clear, in other words its defintaley done. However the FG seems a little high. The OG was 1.052 and the FG is only 1.020.

Recipe was

4 LBS Light DME
3lbs Two Row
.5 Choclate
.5 Bisquit
.3 Special B
added 4 oz of lactose with 15 mins left in boil.

Mini Mashed the grains. Sparge water was a little low on temp, it sparged at 148 for an hour.

Used 1084 because I had it on hand.

The beer taste is fantastic, no complaints there, just confused why my FG was a bit on the high side. Thanks.

You're right. Seems high. What were your mash temps? Is your thermometer accurate? How did you aerate your wort?

-p

The lactose you added is unfermentable so will contribute to a higher FG. The 1.3lb of specialty malts will also add a higher amount of unfermentables so 1.020 sounds okay to me.

Mash temps were 148* I sparged at 170. I wrote sparged instead of mashed in my earlier post. All calculators gave me a FG of 1.014 that was minus the lactose. So I might not be that far off. I forgot when looking at the projected FG that I had to add the #s for the lactose. Not quite sure what lactose adds as far as those #s but it does make it seem a litle better then it did this morning.

I had a similiar problem with a porter but it was because I racked it to the secondary to soon. From now I will always take a SG reading before transfering.

Back