FG in Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I brewed an Oatmeal Milk Stout with a reasonably high mash temperature, partial mash. I tried to keep the temperature at around 155, but at points it may have gotten as warm as 160-162 (I know this is too high).

The estimated OG was 1.084 and estimated FG of 1.025.
The actual OG was 1.081 and FG is currently 1.029.

It has been around 2.5 weeks since it started fermentation, it seems to have stopped bubbling and is quite still. My question is, is this too high of an FG? I think it may not get any lower because I had a warmer mash along with the unfermentable lactose, also I think the oatmeal is slightly unfermentable, right?

What should I do? The keg is clean and ready if enough people tell me it's good to go. I could pitch more yeast, but i'm not sure it'll go down anymore. If I do pitch more yeast should I do dry, or another liquid?

I would swirl the yeast, warm it up, and if it hasn't gone down after a couple of days, you're done.

Taste it, it might taste just fine. Sweet Stouts are a style. You could also balance it out with a pepper or something else added.

I'd let it sit another week or so. You're currently sitting around 64% attenuation. You might get a few more points out of it, you might not. Personally, I don't think you'll get much. But another week certainly isn't going to hurt anything, and could even help as the yeast have a bit of time to clean up after all their hard work.

Yeah, I suppose so. It tastes amazing, definitely a little sweet though... but it's a sweet stout so that's perfect. I was trying to get it carbonated and ready for next weekend, that's why I was posting to ask. Otherwise i'd just let it sit, but I was trying to have it ready by a certain date.

Thats OG seems really high to me, but just try it and let the beer tell you when its done

Would it be wrong to pitch a dry yeast in for a couple of days and see if it lowers? Would this affect the taste/mouthfeel of the beer?

Back