FG estimation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbriggs10

Reaction score
So I bought a Fat Tire Clone kit from AHS and decided to see what the 1% alcohol boost was all about. The instructions that were included in the kit did not mention the 1% boost... However the 1% boost package said that it should be added to the boil. So I added the 14 oz supercharged corn sugar once the wort came to a boil. I continued the process an I normally would and found that my OG was 1.062, much higher than the expected OG of 1.050. I have to assume that this is due to the 1% boost addition.

I pitched Nottingham dry yeast and I have it fermenting at 70 F.

My question is: Since my OG was higher than expected, will my FG also be higher than expected??? (expected FG - 1.010)

How will this affect the length of time it will need in the primary / secondary fermenter?

:mug:

dbriggs10 said:
My question is: Since my OG was higher than expected, will my FG also be higher than expected??? (expected FG - 1.010)

No. Corn sugar is virtually 100% fermentable. So if the "alcohol boost" is, in fact, corn sugar, the final gravity will be essentially the same as if you hadn't added it.

This is how some Belgian styles manage to be fairly dry in spite of their high alcohol content: a fairly significant amount of sugar is used in the wort, and since it is nearly 100% fermentable, the attentuation is higher than in an all-malt wort.

I would expect it to come out a little drier than you had expected. Just so you are not suprised. but it should ferment out all the way.

Thanks for the insight!!!

Will it take longer to ferment? I'm thinking about leaving in the primary for 10 to 14 days.

cweston said:
No. Corn sugar is virtually 100% fermentable. So if the "alcohol boost" is, in fact, corn sugar, the final gravity will be essentially the same as if you hadn't added it.

Actually, expect it to be a little lower because of the additional alcohol.

Kai

Well, I transferred to the secondary last night and found that the gravity was at 1.020 (same as 3 days ago)... Still a bit high from the expected FG of 1.010. I plan on letting it sit in the secondary for two weeks and then bottling. Should I be concerned that I might have a stuck ferment? With the additional sugar (from the 1% boost & future priming sugar), might I have problems with bottle bombs down the road?

Back