Ffuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure I have ever seen such a compilation of poor reading, modded posts, bad advice, and stupid comments, misunderstood humor, and general Bedlam. There was even a savior forgetting to save due to shrooming...

Luckily, it looks like all ends well and the incorrect facts have been righted.

Are you sure you didn't mean to post this in the Blended Beers thread?

@Cliff897 - Interesting link. Didn't know there was a homebrewing radio. Thanks for sharing. I wasn't implying the vinegar was the same as cholrine, but was meaning to say "Just use vinegar, and avoid any unwanted chlorine gas byproduct". I guess if the vinegar and bleach are added into the water (rather than together), then that would avoid chlorine byproducts due to dilution. But that's where I was saying, "why not just use vinegar". As for the CDC - I dunno. That's just what is recommended for sanitizing water containers. I would assume it's so high, since the material being sanitized isn't specified. EDIT: and listening to more of this radio mp3 you posted, I'm at least happy they sufficiently mentioned NOT mixing the vinegar and bleach together, but rather each individually to the water.

@northernlad - 100-200ppm of bleach is the generally accepted sanitizing concentration. 50ppm is the absolute bare minimum for the USDA, but that requires lengthy soaking times and that the item being sanitized has non-porous, smooth surfaces. 200ppm is the maximum to use without rinsing for food purposes (though as I said: if using bleach I would never use it as no-rinse, regardless of concentration when brewing). Maybe I'm a bit anal about sanitizing. I just use the CDC's recommended concentrations, and rinse. But you are correct about the acidity and sugar of the wort/beer. I misspoke.

@Cliff897 - Interesting link. Didn't know there was a homebrewing radio. Thanks for sharing.

Hobby brewers gotta stick together.

meaning to say "Just use vinegar,

Will that kill things? Over what time?
Never thought to use vinegar, but it works for pickling.

they sufficiently mentioned NOT mixing the vinegar and bleach together, but rather each individually to the water.

Yah well.
When I was much younger I thought it was a hoot to get some 12% pool bleach put a cup of that in a mason jar and add to the jar a poly bag of muriatic acid. Then throw. It put the molotov to shame.

@northernlad - 100-200ppm of bleach is the generally accepted sanitizing concentration. 50ppm is the absolute bare minimum

All that's why I think Talley prefers 80 PPM with the caustic adjustment.
The combination is effective while not forcing the user to rinse with contaminated tap water.

For years - I mean decades - my sanitation regime was lots of bleach some water a soak and rinsing in boiled water.
It was a total PITA.
When I found Star San it was like a whole boat load of weight was lifted from my shoulders. And to think had I just consulted a chemist I might have saved myself a whole lot of misery

Maybe I'm a bit anal about sanitizing. I just use the CDC's recommended concentrations, and rinse.

I belong to the school of "if a little bit is good then ~ ~ ~ ~ "
And I used to use bleach like it was going out of style. I still use star San in a stronger concentration than recommended - even though there probably a window if functionality.
I know, I know, excess is an iggurnunt philosophy, but it's the dog and pony show I know.

When I was much younger I thought it was a hoot to get some 12% pool bleach put a cup of that in a mason jar and add to the jar a poly bag of muriatic acid. Then throw. It put the molotov to shame.

*starts thinking about the bleach and muriatic acid sitting in the cupboard* No...must resist.

I use "One Step No Rinse" for all the stuff I don't feel like rinsing. But, yeah, 1/2 or 1 cup o' bleach for every 1-2 gallons of water is what I do for everything else (especially the stuff I was too lazy to clean last time it was used), and then just rinse. PITA it is, but easy enough, all things considered.

As for vinegar, http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Cutboard.html and one that suggests that vinegar outperforms bleach (doesn't specify bleach concentrations) at eliminating certain bacteria from food products http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12380754

*starts thinking about the bleach and muriatic acid sitting in the cupboard* No...must resist.

You don't want to be within 30 feet of the thing when they combine.
One breath of the gas and your lungs will be burnt trash. Prolly burn the retinas off the eyes off too if ya don't have 'em shut. All the grass in a substantial circle will be burnt off instantly, you can watch the gas propagate outward a lot like a blast ripple from high explosive.

Interesting way to go after an under ground wasps nest. Ya need a funnel and nerves of steel. And of course you must have first, filled out the application for a Darwin Award or ya might get passed by.

I'll reply in a moment I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor.
That's amazing.
I wonder why the results on SST and Plastic were so different.
Maybe ( and I'm just guessing) at the molecular level a bond (Ionic?) between the lletheen (modified agar) with which which they pretreated the surfaces was the determining element. It might have held onto the metal better thus working to protect some number of organisims from the vinegar.

What really floored me was they DILUTED the vinegar~!!!
The dilution was 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water.

and one that suggests that vinegar outperforms bleach (doesn't specify bleach concentrations) at eliminating certain bacteria from food products http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12380754

I suspect that if you pay the $37.00 for the article you'll get all those missing details such as dillution. I'd guess they had the chlorine somewhere between 50ppm and 100ppm and clearly they did not adjust the pH.

You can prolly just e-mail the author and ask. It's been my experience that researchers are often pretty easy going when it comes to answering questions. Doctor Wolf-Hall seems to take a certain joy from answering questions: http://www.madsci.org/cgi-bin/search?query=Charlene+Wolf-Hall
Scanning that page you can see that most of those questions are from lay-folk.

About the chlorine -vs- vinegar thing they seemed to uncover:
If you listened to the whole (boring) interview with Chuck Talley he talks about the FDA insisting that bleach was a good sanitizer and says that the FDA is just plain wrong. That is in the part where he talks about the caustic adjustment of pH via hypoclorous acid and bleach being the real bona fide killer that you get from adding vinegar to the bleach/water solution.

Here, check this out
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/01/qa-beer-safety-at-georgetown-brewing/
You can get beasties in your canned wort yeast starter.
But then canned starter is not a ferment, has no CO2 tension, no hops (isomerized alpha acids), no beneficial yeasts to make the wort hostile to other life forms. And you can always boil the canned starter before starting the yeast culture.

Latest posts

Back