Festa Brew Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REPO

Reaction score
Ok, so i finally got time to transfer it out of my primary into my carboy. There was a nice white cake in the bottom of the primary about 1/2" thick or so. I was as careful as possible to not get any air into my siphon system, and sterilized everything with star San.

My question is; How long should i now leave it in the carboy before moving to bottling? The instructions say 7 days, but can I leave it longer? Also it says to let it sit at room temperature, is this ideal, or would a cooler basement be better?

You can leave it in longer. Cooler temps will help it clear, but I'd leave it at your fermentation temp for at least a few days before cold crashing. Make sure you're at terminal gravity before you cool it. One tip, you normally don't need to transfer it to secondary. That used to be common practice, but it's changed.

Thanks for the reply microbus! I will probably leave it at room temperature for a couple weeks to be sure its all good. I did check the SG and it is bang on where the instructions said it would be, so i think everything is coming along well. It sure does smell like beer now, and I gave it a little taste and it seems great. (other than being warm and a bit flat)

As for the secondary, I know what you mean. I got this kit for Christmas, and this is my very first batch. I just wanted to follow the instructions to a "T" to be sure it worked. From all the reading I have done, it certainly does appear that most don't bother. My next batch will just go straight into my carboy with a blow off tube.

Back