Fermzilla pressure ferment- dip tube problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
Hello all!

I just bought a fermzilla from morebeer and when I went to inspect all of the pieces, i noticed a green slimy substance covering the floating dip tube… not sure if this is just oxidation of whatever metal the bobber is made of, or what it is!
I cleaned it with soap and water for about 10 minutes then hit it with a magic eraser- but there is still crud caked on the bobber. Here are the before and after pics:
48AA3141-5ACE-45BE-81F2-B14EAC82B75F.jpeg
78C8072F-63B3-4B1E-8E49-A87D3C25DDC4.jpeg

My last resort before reaching out to morebeer is to hit it with a small amount of PBW.

Any thoughts on what this stuff is?

Thanks!

Update: All is now well- Morebeer sent me a replacement!

Last edited:
Yikes! That's definitely not normal. I'd contact morebeer regardless if you can clean it or not.

Those floats are typically made of 304 stainless steel.

I too would have ask the vendor about it before doing anything. Though what's done is now done. With some vendors, if you do something to the stuff they say that voids any requirements on them.

Though with MoreBeer, they have always gone over and above my expectations to resolve any issues I've ever had with an order.

Stainless steel in the absence of oxygen usually is more susceptible to corrosion when in moisture. Particularly the common and less expensive 304 SS.

New design of bobber? none of mine have a proud seam on them.

That stuff looks nasty, no leak in the bobber? No liquid to hear when you shake it?

I'd want it replaced for sure.

I'd bleach it, boil it, autoclave it, but yeah check like @DuncB says for internal liquid and try to replace it.

Then I'd hit it with PBW, and dry it off with a blowtorch.

Then wash it again.

Thanks guys!
Just reached out to morebeer about the issue- I’m still trying to convince SWMBO that I need to brew on Saturday- she may win the argument now. Oh well, keep her happy I guess.

Edit/Update:
All is well now- Morebeer is sending me a replacement!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back