Fermwrap on the cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with a heating pad. Sat the carboy on top, wrapped with a blanket got fermentation started. Now it is producing enough heat to to maintain the 72 deg. desired temp.

Do you think if i had this hooked up with a temp controller that i could cool instead of heat?

Almost got a heating pad but saw the heat flex tape is a good price. Shipping was a little high though. A little electricians tape over the copper ends may fix my shocking experience.

It got me to 64 f from ~56 in a little more than an hour.

The tape only gets warm so no cooling. Some use it inside a refrigerator but not sure why.

Ya....you gotta wrap the exposed (cut) ends with e-tape, it will fix your shocking proboem. I made the exact same thing last year, works great.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

Hey all - I've found this and a few other threads from around this time super helpful. blast from the past.

I'm a cider maker and my cider is in 59 gallon barrels in a warehouse that is about 41 degrees Farenheit. I'm planning to make my own fermwrap with the reptile basics and then put a sweater over each barrel.

I'm new to this part of it, so i'm hopeful someone might have some ideas/experiences... Is it possible to use one thermometer for multiple barrels? I have 14. Or should i get the ferm wrap and a thermostat for each one? I'd like to keep them around 60 degrees F.

Back