Fermintation Chamber II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Marquez

Reaction score
My first fermentation chamber based on a nearly free 5.5 Cu Ft freezer using an STC-1000 was fun to build and has worked great for several batches.. But could only fit two 6.5 gal buckets at a time.

Then I decided to start kegging... and the need for a new Ferm chamber was born.

Days of looking brought me to a free 13 cu Ft freezer..... smaller then I was looking for but price was right.

It was free because the PO did not secure the lid in transit and bent it up and back.

Fine by me, it was a quick fix to remove, bend back at the hinges, spot weld, touch up paint, and re-install the lid.

Drilled a hole from under near the compressor box through inside, machined up a steel tube, pressed it in, silicon-ed it in place and passed though the sensor wire.. then sealed it up with more RTV.

Installed a receptacle and box in the rear of the compressor box.

And then sunk the STC-1000 in the front

New chamber will hold three 6.5 gal buckets... Better then before but still in the hunt for a larger freezer or side by side fridge. The goal is 5 buckets/ carboys inside at once...

Next up... install my Perlic faucets in the collar of the old chamber converting it to my kegerator :mug:

New chamber working well... two buckets in place and room for a third...

Held temp to 16.6 ~17.5 all night, with only two compressor cycles.

I too have a "converted" chest freezer. My keezer is a 5 cu ft unit. The STC-1000 was a great idea for temp control. My only "issue" after trying different methods to provide heat. I tried a bulb for heating but I was too concerned it wouldn't track accurately, as in taking too long to keep the wort warm enough. I use ESB 1968 exclusively, and if the temperature of the wort drops too far, the yeast drops out too, and then it takes forever it seems to get the yeast working again.
I guess my point is; I am using a heating pad, and have zero problems keeping one bucket warm, but I am concerned if I put another bucket in there, the 2nd bucket will not stay warm enough. Anybody else with the same concern? And no, I cannot put the buckets side by side and share the heating pad. Any ideas?

I too have a "converted" chest freezer. My keezer is a 5 cu ft unit. The STC-1000 was a great idea for temp control. My only "issue" after trying different methods to provide heat. I tried a bulb for heating but I was too concerned it wouldn't track accurately, as in taking too long to keep the wort warm enough. I use ESB 1968 exclusively, and if the temperature of the wort drops too far, the yeast drops out too, and then it takes forever it seems to get the yeast working again.
I guess my point is; I am using a heating pad, and have zero problems keeping one bucket warm, but I am concerned if I put another bucket in there, the 2nd bucket will not stay warm enough. Anybody else with the same concern? And no, I cannot put the buckets side by side and share the heating pad. Any ideas?
Use a small 1000 watt ceramic heater with a built in fan.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...&rh=i:aps,k:1000+watt+cermaic+heater+with+fan

That will work as long as the temp probe is in the beer (thermo well) or a large bottle of liquid (starsan works well)

Back