fermentor smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
just bottled my first batch, i cleaned the fermenting bucket right after with oxi clean then sprayed it real good with one step sanitizer. i went to check on it this morning cause im doing another batch tonight and it still has some residual wort smell, shouldnt the one step have cleared that up? im afrid that some nasties might be lurking.
thanks

for some reason, the smells don't always go away. I've got a plastic bucket that has seen lots of use, and to me, it smells like honey. It's never seen honey, but I know it's clean and scratch free, so I'm okay to use it.
I, too, would have thought all the cleaning it goes through would have removed the smells, but I've been brewing for years, and I noticed that early on - even soaked it overnight in oxyclean -
--- as long as you're maintaining clean and sanitary conditions, brew on!

So far I've only used plastic and I have residual aromas as well. I've tried long soaks with Oxiclean followed by a spray down with vinegar and a rinse with hot water and that didn't get rid of them, so I've just considered it part of the plastic bucket experience. I always do a rinse after racking and then an oxiclean soak and a thorough rinse. I sanitize only right before use. I haven't had any problems so far.

It happens... The only time that really wont happen is when you use glass or stainless steel.

No worries tho. Life will be good!

Back