Fermentor reload

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
I'm brewing the same beer back to back. Anyone ever simply reload their fermentor without cleaning it? The conical will pretty much stay sealed and I don't see any reason to tear it down and clean it to reload the same beer. Thoughts?

Go for it, shouldnt be a problem. This is done in buckets and carboys all the time to reuse the yeast. You can do the same with your conical.

-magno

"Dumping on the cake" is a common method for getting good, fast ferments on big brews. No reason it won't work on a regular one.

I have done it with great success on higher gravity beers. Go for it, you won't be disappointed, but I wouldn't do this more then once (dumping on the cake).

Actually, I forgot that dumping on a cake is pretty common... it's been a rough couple days. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the replies.

Nate - get a blowoff tube ready if you've never racked onto the cake before - your ferment will take off quickly and vehemently!

Skol!

SBN said:
Nate - get a blowoff tube ready if you've never racked onto the cake before - your ferment will take off quickly and vehemently!

Skol!

Yeah, ever since I started doing things properly (aerating, using yeast nutients, and making starters), all my ferments have been violent. I start with a blowoff tube every time now because I got tired of cleaning the mess. :mug:

glibbidy said:
I have done it with great success on higher gravity beers. Go for it, you won't be disappointed, but I wouldn't do this more then once (dumping on the cake).

Yep... Higher Gravity beers do require more yeast to achieve a proper cell count for pitching.

Back