fermenting US O5 at 54

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariza-Poet

Reaction score
So I'm tweaking a blonde ale to make for my sister in laws wedding.
Trying to make it as clean and crisp as possible. Looking through the site I saw to ferment at a low temp, so I'm at 54.
Should I just leave it there til its time to keg or bring up the temp to finish fermentation

The lowest I have gone with 05 is 59 and I had to bring it up to 68-69 to let it finish out. Might get "peachy"

The lowest I have gone with 05 is 59 and I had to bring it up to 68-69 to let it finish out. Might get "peachy"
aw man! How'd yours turn out at that temp? and do you remember how long you did at each temp?

I'd rather do it at 19-22C. The lower you go the more peachy it will get unless you pitch extra. I guess the lower temps stresses it a bit.

I've made a few at lower temps all the way, with adequate (for 20C-ish pitch), and it was sort of like a soft umbrelladrink.

US-05 is a neutral yeast fermented in the mid range. Under pitching could cause some ester production but otherwise the yeast doesn't add flavors.

US-05 is a neutral yeast fermented in the mid range. Under pitching could cause some ester production but otherwise the yeast doesn't add flavors.
Ok that's what I thought. I was over ambitious and did a double brew day in AZ when it was over 100 degrees outside and I pitched the wrong yeast. So thought I'd look up info on this yeast and found someone fermented at 54, but I'll raise the temp up to the low 60s maybe and see how it does.

Ok that's what I thought. I was over ambitious and did a double brew day in AZ when it was over 100 degrees outside and I pitched the wrong yeast. So thought I'd look up info on this yeast and found someone fermented at 54, but I'll raise the temp up to the low 60s maybe and see how it does.

Fermenting a stout at 63°F with US-05 is the first time I noticed the peach flavor. Other brews at the same temperature had more hops which hid the peach flavor. I now ferment at 67° to 68°F US-05.

Fermenting a stout at 63°F with US-05 is the first time I noticed the peach flavor. Other brews at the same temperature had more hops which hid the peach flavor. I now ferment at 67° to 68°F US-05.
Cool thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it.

A better option is to substitute the US05 with White Labs WLP001 liquid yeast. That will give you the clean yeast profile you are after and it is very forgiving fermenting in cooler temps. I typically will ferment at 64F with no issues as long as I let it sit out at room temp to fully attenuate that last couple of days.

I've always heard of off flavors using US05 and fermenting too low, meaning below 60. This is my yeast for 90% of my brews, and when I started brewing I would keep it around 62. Now I start at 64 for the first few days then raise up to 68 to finish. Fermentis recommends 64-82.

Back