Fermenting under pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryMc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to ferment under pressure so I've been trying to figure out how. I bought Kegmenter Fermentation Keg - 7.6 gal. | MoreBeer to do this in. I went online to Beer Carbonation Calculator and put in my temperature of my basement which is rock steady at 74.3 degrees year round. It stays that way because of a 50 gallon natural gas fired water heater and two computer servers that run 24/7. At 2.2 volumes of co2 and 74.3 degrees the recommended pressure is 26.32 PSI. Is this OK?

You’ll want to make sure to set the spunding value correctly…. Don’t want to go over what is rated for the fermentation vessel.

just need to monitor and if it gets above your target, release some pressure

@_BullDog_ From Controlling Fermentation Temperature - Brew Your Own " the heat generated by an active fermentation can warm a typical 5-gallon (19-L) batch of beer by 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit."

If the room is 74.3 degrees and I set the pressure to the recommended pressure of 26.32 PSI will the heat generated mess up my beer? I won't be home to do anything about it most likely because I'm away quite often.

I've decided to purchase another Inkbird WiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Remote Monitoring Controlling Home Brewing Fermentation Breeding Incubation Greenhouse: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific to use with Amazon.com: iPower GLHTMTLX2 2-Pack Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat 48" x 20" Warm Hydroponic Plant Germination Starting Pad, Black : Everything Else and stick the fermenter inside a small refrigerator I'll take my bottled beer out of and stick it in there. I don't want issues so this should be perfect, at least I hope so.

Best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

I use a Fermzilla, which is rated at 35PSI. I ferment at 25-30 PSI with no problem. My temp in my closet is between 70-73.

@humpadilo what beer are you making, what yeast, ect? Thanks
I’ve been making mainly Pilsner recipes from more beer.

I can’t remember the recipe, but it has been a few different ones and I drink to much to remember and I suck at writing **** down.

Last edited:
Looking revive this thread for some general input. Placed a black lager in the basement with ambient at 62. Of course warm weather hit and my ambient temps in basement are at around 66 or so. I originally pitched two packets of 34/70 with a tilt inside. Original temp at pitch was 65. I did not apply pressure until around 16 hrs when I noticed activity and gravity already dropping. Applied 10 psi and watched internal temps rise to 70. I opted to move the pressure to 13. What I find a bit concerning is I went from around 1.048 to 1.016 in 24 hrs from pitch. Now... The fermentation could be impacting accuracy of the tilt but.... I'm willing to use this as a surrogate marker as I approach terminal gravity for now. I do plan a fairly long cold conditioning and wouldn't rack to the keg any time soon btw. For the spunders out there, is this common with 34/70 and should I be worried this will be a drain pour? This is my first pressure ferment. I would have preferred to pitch at a lower temp and stay a little on the colder side but the ferm cabinet is reserved for a wee heavy sooo I thought maybe pressure fermentation at ambient may help me avoid off-flavors and I thought 34/70 may fair okay based on some reading around ale temps with the yeast strain. The 5 degrees increase over 24 hrs coupled with a large decrease in gravity has me wondering how this will all go... I mean if it goes well I see a rice lager being next on the docket with 34/70 as I'm trying to get a couple kegs in the keezer for the upcoming weeks/months. Football being right around the corner!!!!

I'm at terminal gravity but plan to leave as is for likely one to two weeks. With that said terminal in 43 hours seems unusual to me. Any thoughts?

43 hrs seems a little fast. Your expected terminal gravity may be higher than were the beer ends depending on your mash temp.

Also when you transfer the beer you can check gravity with a hydrometer to validate the tilts accuracy.

I checked og with a refractometer at transfer to the fermenter. I haven't pulled a sample yet because I simply felt this was fairly odd to me. I mashed at 151 and terminal was to be around 1.011 which is where I'm at. I do have concerns that if the sample begins to carb that the gravity reading will be skewed. I grab one to double check and go from there. I mean this fermented like lutra I would have expected a week although this is new to me.

Drew a sample at 48 hrs and it's confirmed I'm at terminal 1.011. It does smell sulfury so not sure this one will survive. I suppose I will consider leaving it on the yeast for a bit followed by cold conditioning and hope/pray.

Back