Fermenting time bottles vs kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlk47

Reaction score
Hey gang, so my 2.5 gal keg is on its way from keg connection! My plan is to start splitting my 5 gal batches 1/2 to keg and the other half bottles.

I have a question on timing though. So the recipe I am currently doing is a northern brewer Innkeeper extract. The instructions call for a short 2 week primary then 2 weeks in bottles.

Should I extend the time in primary due to 1/2 of this going directly to the keg? I plan to carb for one week(if its done by then) so I wasn't sure if I should just let the batch sit in the primary for 3 weeks, then keg/bottle.

I want to be sure to give my brew enough time to develop before it goes into the keg and into the fridge.

Just curious if there is some general guidelines for the difference between bottles and kegs.

Thanks!

I'm no expert, but a minimum ferm time on here seems to be 3 weeks. Let the yeast do their work and clear out. If you want to age more you can always naturally carbonate in a keg. I like to have my kegs carbonate at serving pressure and give them a couple weeks. They always taste better to me that way.

Carbonating in keg is typically 2 weeks at serving pressure and temperature, for best results. Especially for someone who's brand new to kegging. Burst carbonating has it's own set of issues and then still needs time for the keg to equalize (can take 1-2 weeks after vented).

I would wait until the batch is actually READY to go to glass except for carbonation. Then fill the keg and bottle the balance. Use CO2 on the keg (leave the frakin sugar out of it) and prime/bottle the rest.

Also, the vast majority of us will tell you to toss the instructions from the kit once they have you pitch the yeast. IME/IMO, they're next to worthless when it comes to fermentation times. Too much depends on where you ferment it and the temperatures.

Carbonation chart.

I guess another question I had is.. Once you've got the keg in the fridge hooked up to the co2, does the beer still "condition" similar to bottle conditioning? Or does the conditioning portion end once you start to chill the brew?

I guess another question I had is.. Once you've got the keg in the fridge hooked up to the co2, does the beer still "condition" similar to bottle conditioning? Or does the conditioning portion end once you start to chill the brew?

It will but at an extremely reduced rate. IF the batch needs more time, leave it in primary. IF it's otherwise ready to drink, then bottle/keg it. I've never seen the point in rushing to bottle/keg a batch. I've had brews sit in primary for over 3 months without any negative effects. I even had my first batch, at my new place, sit in the basement (where I ferment now) for about 6 weeks. That's about 3 weeks longer than I had intended due to other things getting in the way. It's damned fine in a glass. I have the second batch that's been down there even longer now. I keep intending to keg, but things keep cropping up to prevent me from doing it. Am I concerned? Nope. Of course, it does help that the area they both are/were in ranges from the mid 40's to low 50's (F)... :D

Two weeks in the fermenter is more than enough time for that beer. It's a non-complex, lower OG beer.

I've never left any beer in the primary for more than about two weeks, at least not on purpose, but a good rule of thumb is to leave it sit for at least three days after FG is reached.

So, if it's done fermenting on day 7, don't package until day 10 or later.

Beer will still age at colder temperatures, but much more slowly than at room temperatures. If the beer needs some time (it won't if you fermented it properly) then you can age it at room temperature. If it's ready, it can be chilled.

Would it be a good practice to check the FG at the end of the 2 weeks(per what the kit says) and ALSO do a taste test(understanding that it will be flat), and then if I feel it had good taste and the FG is steady, then call it done and rack to keg? If not, taste it again in a week to see if it tastes "done".. Then proceed..

Would this be a good way to go about it?

So many questions as a new brewer, I appreciate you guys taking the time to give your input.

Two weeks in the fermenter is more than enough time for that beer. It's a non-complex, lower OG beer.

I've never left any beer in the primary for more than about two weeks, at least not on purpose, but a good rule of thumb is to leave it sit for at least three days after FG is reached.

So, if it's done fermenting on day 7, don't package until day 10 or later.

IF the brew has off flavors, due to things like fermenting too warm, or others, then more time could be of benefit. But, IF it's ready to go to glass, except for carbonation, then keg/bottle it up and continue on. Until you've brewed enough batches with your system and setup, it's not easy to tell by number of days when something is ready. IMO, better to give it more time than try to rush it.

This is another reason I recommend sticking with a short list of yeast strains. At least until you've really learned what the strain(s) will give you over the range of conditions. Gaining that knowledge will go a long way to helping you make even better brews. Jumping all over the place (strains and styles) means you're not really learning how the yeast will work for you. I know it can be difficult for new brewers to have restraint, but it's well worth it, IMO.

There's enough to learn, and different things you can brew, to keep a person busy for decades.

Would it be a good practice to check the FG at the end of the 2 weeks(per what the kit says) and ALSO do a taste test(understanding that it will be flat), and then if I feel it had good taste and the FG is steady, then call it done and rack to keg? If not, taste it again in a week to see if it tastes "done".. Then proceed..

Would this be a good way to go about it?

So many questions as a new brewer, I appreciate you guys taking the time to give your input.

Sure, that would work. I always taste my hydrometer samples, and you can gauge it fairly well at that point, as long as you realize that the mouthfeel and body perception will change with carbonation.

Back