Fermenting Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougriddle

Reaction score
Perused some of the threads here, but couldn't find an answer...so: I'm brewing my first batch ever today and I'm partially concerned about my fermenting temps. Due to my "living quarters" I have one spot for fermenting and, as of now thanks to winter, it is holding around 60F. I'm making an Allagash White clone and it suggests 70F. Will 60F be OK for fermenting? I assume it will take a little bit longer to ferment, or perhaps it may not be as vigorous. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Fermenting beer will generate its own heat, so the temperature in carboy or bucket that you will be fermenting in will be a few degrees higher than room temp. You can wrap a blanket around the carboy/bucket to help retain that heat.

If that puts you in the mid-sixties, that should be fine for most Ale yeasts. Which yeast are you using?

In general, I think 70 is a little hot for a lot of ale yeasts and can generate more esters at that temp than down in the sixties.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using a glass carboy for the container and a slap-pack of 3944 Belgian Wit from Wyeast labs.

You should be ok. I just pulled this from the Wyeast web site:

YEAST STRAIN: 3944 | Belgian Witbier™

Produces a complex flavor profile with a spicy phenolic character and low ester production. Phenols tend to dominate other flavors and dissipate with age. Ferments fairly dry with a finish that compliments malted and unmalted wheat and oats. Sometimes used in conjunction with lactic acid bacteria to produces a sharper finish. This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-Low
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 62-75F, 16-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

It will ferment slower in the low sixties, but it is still within the acceptable range. Contrary to what I said above, this yeast was designed to ferment at higher temps without a lot of ester generation.

Back