Fermenting pyment brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I have a concord pyment that has been fermenting for a month or so. Used Concord grape juice, clover honey, Kv1116, energizer, nutrient and pectin enzyme, plus the juice of half a lemon.

This started a super deep redish purple(Welches concord juice). It started quite high gravity(1.130 if I remember correctly), it was stirred daily for the first 5 days, at which point gravity was taken, it was air locked and hasn't been touched for weeks. I noticed today it's looking brown. Still actively fermenting and smells great.

Why is this brown? There is virtually no head space and it has been actively fermenting. No air contact at all.

Thanks for the reply. I racked it into secondary last night, it smells and tastes great, so I'll just wait it out and hope for the best.

Update, as this slows down and thinks about clearing the brown is dropping out. The lees at the bottom are brown and the liquid is returning to the deep purple it was originally.

Back