fermenting problems with my pressed cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nth122

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I pressed 5 gallons of cider and Monday night I I tossed ~1/4tsp of potassium metabisulphite in it and waited 24 hrs before pitching a packet of Nottingham. I didn't rehydrate the yeast and I forgot to take a hydrometer reading (I am kicking myself for this). The pitching temp should be about room temp. (68-70 degrees F). Since pitching the yeast Tuesday night there has been no airlock activity. Did I do something wrong? What can I do now?

This is my first time working with pressed cider. so any pro tips for future ciders are welcome.

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I pressed 5 gallons of cider and Monday night I I tossed ~1/4tsp of potassium metabisulphite in it and waited 24 hrs before pitching a packet of Nottingham. I didn't rehydrate the yeast and I forgot to take a hydrometer reading (I am kicking myself for this). The pitching temp should be about room temp. (68-70 degrees F). Since pitching the yeast Tuesday night there has been no airlock activity. Did I do something wrong? What can I do now?

This is my first time working with pressed cider. so any pro tips for future ciders are welcome.

Thanks

I would take a gravity measurement now, and repitch new yeast. You may want to take out small amount of cider, maybe a pint or so, dilute it a bit (if it's too high ABV to start with) and pitch the yeast there first. Let it get going in the "starter" and then pitch entire starter into the cider, once it is active.

As above, take readings now, is there any fizz at all, did it set around all that time without sulphites, if so maybe its already done? WVMJ

If you didn't aerate the must prior to yeast pitch, it may just need a good stirring. Yeast needs oxygen at this stage & the sulfites bind with oxygen in the must. Give it a good stirring to help remove some of the sulfites & reintroduce oxygen. You should see some activity within a day if the yeast is still viable.
Regards, GF.

As I am sure you have already heard, lack of airlock activity does not mean there is no yeast activity. Use your hydrometer so you can monitor yeast activity.

Latest posts

Back