Fermenting in plastic bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsyoung

Reaction score
The guy at my LHBS told me its not good to let the wort ferment longer than one week when using a plastic bucket as the primary. Is there any basis to this? Is it okay to let it sit 2-3 weeks in the bucket?

I've heard that theory too. The reason I was given was because the buckets do let some oxygen in so you increase risk of oxidation. Like all factoids I suggest experimentation and determine for yourself. My own experimentation here has led me to use glass carboys as a preferred vessel. However I will use plastic for Ales that I know I'll turn is 10 days or less. But everyone has variables in their own processes and you should try this out for yourself. Brew up a batch and split it half in a glass carboy and half in a bucket. Once its ready to serve do a triangle test and see if you can't detect the difference.

I have done about 8 batches using buckets and always let them sit no less then three weeks. The longest i've left them in the buckets is 6weeks, without any ill effects.

Just make sure your lid has a rubber gasket, and you get a nice clean seal with the lid.

Well, if you spend enough time reading this forum, you will see that the experts ferment in buckets and let them sit for months all the time. I have let them sit for 5+ weeks myself. I think your LHBS guy wants you to buy more equipment that might not be needed!

I've brewed every two weeks for two years and let each batch sit in a bucket for up to three weeks. I've had no oxidation issues with any batches. Your local LHBS is full of B.S. :). I also like the plastic buckets as they are easier to transport, clean and you don't have to worry about dropping and cutting up yourself after it breaks.

Dont worry about it! I just switched back to using pales after using glass carboys for 1 1/2 years. I'll usually let the beer sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks before kegging of racking off to a secondary for dry hopping. No problems at all!

Buckets work great for almost all styles. The only thing I use glass for is sours and big beers that need months of conditioning like Russian imperial stouts, ect...I usually just pitch yeast, let it go for 3 weeks in the bucket, cold crash and keg or bottle. Beers are always great!

Ok great this exactly what i wanted to hear. Thanks everyone for the input

I have a bucket and 2 Better Bottles. I ferment all my brews for about 3 weeks in my, and my friends opinions, my beers come out very good.

I will never use a glass carboy because they are too heavy and dangerous.

Buckets are great to ferment in. I've left beer in a bucket for as long as 6 weeks. The only time oxidation is a concern with buckets is when you remove the lid often. I don't remove the lid untill I'm ready to bottle...

Ok now I have another elementary question since i am still new at this. What is the best way to get beer from primary using a bucket into a secondary container? Can I just take the lid off and pour or should I use a tube and syphon it to reduce oxidation?

Never pour, siphon with an auto-siphon and tube slowly. Avoid splashing and other actions that would introduce oxygen to the beer.

Ok now I have another elementary question since i am still new at this. What is the best way to get beer from primary using a bucket into a secondary container? Can I just take the lid off and pour or should I use a tube and syphon it to reduce oxidation?

To answer first question I started with can kits ( coopers etc. ) and ONLY had a bottling bucket period. The only good can kit kit I had it sat in bucket for 7 and a half weeks. Fermented conditioned and bottled from the same bucket ( never took lid off ) until bottling.. Turned out great. Second question siphons and auto-siphons are so cheap so use them. Lol keep all the trub you can behind !!

1. I don't own a glass fermenter, all plastic, never oxidized.
2. Autosiphon, but secondary is usually recommended only if you're adding fruit or oak chips. Ohterwise leave it go in primary 4 weeks then bottlre condition 4 weeks.

I have never used an autosiphon, I just fill a racking cane and tubing w/ star san w/ a dollar store turkey baster to get the siphon started...run off the star san into a container and rack...very easy.

I have only use plastic fermenters for 30 years. Never had an issue with them.

Sometimes I leave it in there for up to 6 weeks but generally about 3-4 weeks would be most common length of time.

When time to bottle I use another container same as this for bulk priming. Connect hose to the tap on this one and to the tap on the other empty one. Put the empty on the floor, add dextrose solution to it and turn on the taps. Turn off the taps when you get down to the trub. Put the bulk prime tub up on the bench and ready to bottle.

This little baby is working away at present on Bier Muncher's Centennial Blonde.

plasticfantastic001.jpg

Back