Fermenting in cold temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colinater22

Reaction score
I have a stout that is 1 week into secondary. I need to move it, but to where I am moving it, it will be be near freezing or below it (32 degrees F) I am wondering, will leaving it in those temps for the last week of secondary adversely affect the beer?

For an ale, it will in effect kill your yeast and prevent fermentation from happenning. Your basically talking about freezing it.

You will need to build an insolated and warm box of somesort to raise the temps into the 60's....

If it's completely done fermenting, having it near freezing is effectively cold crashing it, and it'll be fine. I'd just watch to make sure the carboy and beer don't freeze!

Where are you moving it to...a tent? Seriously, Yooper's right. As long as it's completely done fermenting and you don't let it freeze, you'll have a decent cold crash going on. It really helps compact the yeast cake and clear the beer, although for a Stout, clarity is not an issue.

Latest posts

Back