fermenting in aluminum brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
I have a 32 quart aluminum stock pot I bought with my propane burner that I brewed in a couple times before I decided to move to 10 gallon stainless. Now that I have an extra pot just sitting around I was thinking about using it as a fermentation vessel. I have a decent fitting lid so I figured I could just put some simple rubber adhesive around the outside to give it a better seal. This vessel would allow me to easily top crop some yeast to keep my house yeast strain healthy.

I would sanitize everything really well, pitch the yeast, put a rock or something on the lid to get a bit better of a seal and let it go. I would skim the first krausen to get rid of the hop oils then harvest the second krausen to save for yeast propagation.

I think it would be cool to make my house ale like this. Any concerns other than "too big of a risk of an infection!"?

I wouldn't do it... Several reasons why...

1. Chemical sanitizing can damage the oxide layer formed on the kettle, exposing the wort to aluminum (not a good thing).
2. I wouldn't trust 'a rock or something' to keep the lid down/on the pot. You'll want something more positive than that.
3. Where are you going to install the airlock?
4. Unless the rubber adhesive is actually food grade, avoid it at all costs.

The only way I'd consider converting a pot into a fermenter would be if it was stainless steel. IMO, aluminum is a poor choice in this situation. IMO, a far better use for the aluminum pot would be as a HLT. Simply install a ball valve (with dip tube) so that you can drain from it into the mash tun when it's time.

Brought up a few good points of things I could think through more. I wont install an air lock as the poor seal from simply putting a rock on the lid will provide more than adequate ventilation. I will use a food grade silicone caulk bead instead of some rubber adhesive. I will sterilize the vessel by boiling water in it also adding to the oxidized layer.

I'd do it. Then again, I am a more relaxed brewer. If your fear is contamination, I would say that "a rock or something" and a lining would work awesome.

As long as you have an oxide layer built up, it should be fine. Aluminum is fine for long term contact so long as there's an oxide layer.

I wouldn't use any adhesive... just put the lid on. Really the only thing you have to worry about is a fruit fly getting in there and I doubt it can get into a pot with a fitted lid.

Doesn't the ph of fermenting beer drop pretty low? As long as it stays above 4.5, it should be safe for aluminum. 4.5 is about the limit for oxide layer stability. Below that, it will start to react. I can't remember how low it gets during fermentation gets though.

Hi,
I'm gonna revamp this old thread to add my experience. I had to use an aluminum pot as a fermentation vessel, I just bottled and everything seems fine. The oxidation layer is there. I will post again if I taste something wrong.

The lid is not a problem as long as you make an healty fermentation and you don't keep it there for weeks. Many breweries make open fermentations (I did them too with normal results) so you can keep the lid on to protect the beer from normal dust without worrying too much.

Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

DO NOT DO THIS!

The oxide layer on your pot is stable only down to a pH of 4.5-4.6 and fermenting beer quickly drops to 4.2-4.4. You will end up with aluminum leeching into your beer which is poisonous.

Techbrau do you have a source for the pH stability of the Aluminum oxide layer? My understanding is that it's only reactive with strong acids at high temperature. Additionally, aluminum toxicity is pretty minimal except under a small number of cases.

Years ago, fermentation vessels were made of aluminum. Not sure why a brew pot made of aluminum would be any different?

Bringing back to life this post again, i just received an aluminium sanke keg and i was thinking to use it as fermentation vessel. If this keg is made of aluminum i see no problem using it as fermentation vessel, any opinions?

For years, beer cans were made of unlined aluminum. Of course, it tasted like aluminum and there was a spike in Alzheimer's... They still haven't figured out what the link is between aluminum and Alzheimer's but I think I will stick with my plastic bucket for now.

Back