Fermenting at the low end of the recommended temperature range.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude3000

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of NB Petite Saison d'Ete (extract with 3711) on 12/3. Took a gravity reading today and found I'm .002 below the target final SG. The sample tastes good and has a nice mouthfeel for a green beer. I didn't taste any signs of oxidation.

Here's the lead-in to my question: There were little spots of yeast (believe me, they were yeast) floating across the top of the wort. I haven't seen that before because I ferment in a bucket and I usually don't check on the beer for at least 15 days or so. The outside of the bucket has registered 66-68F the whole time this batch has been fermenting, and the blowoff never bubbled. Given that Wyeast lists the optimal temperature range as 65F-77F, is it possible the low temperatures have caused the yeast to work really slowly? Might the yeast on top still be working? I'm not going to bottle until 12/30 at the earliest, but should I do anything to hurry up the yeast? Or should I just let it keep doing its thing?

3711 is a beast and will usually go well below the predicted FG. Even extract brews will finish in the 1.004 range or even lower.This yeast is not as temp sensitive as other Saison yeasts and wil work at those temps.The thing about 3711 is that it can ferment low and still have very good mouthfeel.

Just let it sit and you will be fine.

I love a good Saison. and brew them often. Just brewed one yesterday.

Awesome. Thanks, beergolf. I love saisons/farmhouses, too. When they're done well, they're my favorite type of beer.

Back