Fermenting a Wee Heavy with S-04... no yeast activity ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First time brewing a Wee Heavy for me. 1.087OG and also first time using S-04 yeast. I am used to use Wyeast and doing starter but the local beershop didnt had the yeast I was searching for so the guy recommanded this dry yeast...

Last night I pitched the S-04 yeast directly over the beer into my fermenter. 2 packs for about 42L. I placed my temperature control to 16C. Ive read that S-04 need to work at ''cold'' temperature. When I pitched the yeast was ''sitting'' on the foam created by my aquarium air pump... I opened the lid this morning andthe foam was almost all gone but no signs of activity...

So this morning I dont see any activity in the airlock... is it normal... I know its pretty early to say that nothing will happen but its the first time that I dont see a vigourous fermentation after 8 hours of sleep ;)

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I'd give it at least 24 hours before getting worried. Usually dry yeast like that is pretty fool proof. Did you swirl the carboy around to get the yeast back into the wort?

I'd give it at least 24 hours before getting worried. Usually dry yeast like that is pretty fool proof. Did you swirl the carboy around to get the yeast back into the wort?

yeah thats what I am thinking very fool proof lol... I think that the yeast might be long to start at 60-62F... Since its a big conical fermentor its hard to swirl but I maked sure that I pourred wort over the yeast with my hose when transfering so yes it all mixed well. I tranfered about 90% of the wort... pitched the yeast on all the surface and then pourred wort all over because the yeast was sitting on the foam... should be good but I am stressed out by the situation lol

42L, 1.087OG and low temperature and only two packets?
I think you will have to be patient with this fermentation as it will be really slow...

For an OG of 1.087 for only 5-6 gallons ( so 20-23 liters ), you need at least 3 packs. I use 2 packs for anything up to 1.075. Higher and I go for 3 packs. Underpitching can lead to long lag times, slow fermentaton, increased esters, possible off-flavours and incomplete fermentation. Patience is what you need and most likely, at least 1 more yeast pack you need to throw in the fermenter now.

I think you will have to be patient with this fermentation as it will be really slow...

On the pack it says that its good up to 30L so by using two pack 60L and I am at 42L... so I figured that was good.

I will go buy one or two more packet and add them when back home... it should help. I think that even with only 2 packs it should start fermenting but maybe stop sooner... but thats only an opinion...

If I add two more packets 19hours after I put the first two packs of S-04... will it cause problem ? :(

yeah thats what I am thinking very fool proof lol... I think that the yeast might be long to start at 60-62F... Since its a big conical fermentor its hard to swirl but I maked sure that I pourred wort over the yeast with my hose when transfering so yes it all mixed well. I tranfered about 90% of the wort... pitched the yeast on all the surface and then pourred wort all over because the yeast was sitting on the foam... should be good but I am stressed out by the situation lol
I made a milk stout last week with S-04 and an OG of 1.060. Starting keezer temp was 58 F because I also had 2 other batches going with Wyeast 2565. I had decent activity by the following morning but I always rehydrate dry yeast.

I sent a message to Fermentis on their Facebook page and got a reply very quickly. The guy told me that I would be fine using only two packets for my 42L. He told me that the lag phase is about 12 hours for a 1.074 batch. BUTTT I added one more packet to be safe....

I agree. The OEM recommends 1g per liter for ‘regular’ beer. Four packs (if not five) for such a big beer would be more in line with a healthy pitch IMO.

Adding 1 more yeast pack will definitely benefit your beer, so that was a good step. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah at least I now feel more confident. There is so many different opinions about this dry yeast... I am sure it is a very potent beer recipe I cant wait to taste it.

Everything good this morning its a nice and steady bubbling ! I cant wait to see where the gravity will drop. If the result of this beer is awesome I will share the recipe in about 2 months. :)

So the fermentation is almost done. Now its at 1,026 and should go down to 1,024 or so...

Should I keep the temperature to 63F for a few days... a week or two or increase temperature to 69F get the most out of the yeast ?

Do I nee to age a wee heavy or no ?

any advise ?

Last edited:
I would raise the temp just to help the yeast finish things up. I like to age my wee heavys for a while as it seems to really help the flavors shine. You can either age it in the carboy or bottle it now and age it in the bottles. I typically leave my wee heavy in the carboy for 2-3 weeks and then bottle it. I have two bottles left of a wee heavy that i bottled a year ago and they're only getting better. I'm trying to save them but I'm not sure how long they'll last haha.

I would raise the temp just to help the yeast finish things up. I like to age my wee heavys for a while as it seems to really help the flavors shine. You can either age it in the carboy or bottle it now and age it in the bottles. I typically leave my wee heavy in the carboy for 2-3 weeks and then bottle it. I have two bottles left of a wee heavy that i bottled a year ago and they're only getting better. I'm trying to save them but I'm not sure how long they'll last haha.

Good. I raised temperature to 68F. I will see what happen and then drop the temperature for about 2-3 weeks before bottling.

Thanks for your help

Back