Co-pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 336313

Reaction score
Hey there. I was just curious about your experiences with co-pitching yeast. I did a wee heavy with equal amounts of Windsor and S-04. Not sure if it wouldve come out different if I had used just Windsor or S-04 though. But still, I see interesting options. For instance, I'm planning on doing a fruit beer with a co-pitch of Lallemand Philly Sour and Lallemand Farmhouse.

Your thoughts?

The pair of co-pitched yeasts usually bring different things to the fermentation. Such as a high flavor, low attenuation strain paired with a fairly neutral high attenuation strain. Windsor/Notty. Verdant/Notty as mentioned above.

Windsor and S-04 are pretty similar. Many brewers have done A/B tests to find which they prefer for Britsh-y, ester-y with relatively low attenuation. Good for low gravity beers.

If your "wee heavy" is of the American variety, I'd be concerned with low attenuation leaving too much crystal cloy. If you wanted the esters of Windsor or S-04, but full attenuation for a good drinkable strong Scotch ale, pitching Notty 2-3 days after the Windsor or S-04 would give the best of both yeasts.

TL;DR Ask yourself what unique charachter each yeast is bringing.

The pair of co-pitched yeasts usually bring different things to the fermentation. Such as a high flavor, low attenuation strain paired with a fairly neutral high attenuation strain. Windsor/Notty. Verdant/Notty as mentioned above.

Windsor and S-04 are pretty similar. Many brewers have done A/B tests to find which they prefer for Britsh-y, ester-y with relatively low attenuation. Good for low gravity beers.

If your "wee heavy" is of the American variety, I'd be concerned with low attenuation leaving too much crystal cloy. If you wanted the esters of Windsor or S-04, but full attenuation for a good drinkable strong Scotch ale, pitching Notty 2-3 days after the Windsor or S-04 would give the best of both yeasts.

TL;DR Ask yourself what unique charachter each yeast is bringing.

I went for the British style, so yes, very sweet, as intended.

But that makes sense, the S-04 en Windsor being quite similar and thus a combination that doesn't bring anything out of the ordinary. Will keep that in mind.

I'm still excited about the Philly/ Farmhouse combination!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Typically, Scottish recipes are more balanced and drinkable than American versions which punch up the caramel malts to cloying levels of sweet.

Ah, not familiar with the American version. Just went for the Scottish style. Still sweet. Happy with it. It's got 0,5% peated malt in the grain bill. Super subtle. Forbidden by the BJCP, I know. To hell with them. I love it.

BJCP, meh. Scottish brewers don't use peated malt. It was the Americans that started that.

I'm sure it's great and most importantly, you're happy with it. :mug:

BJCP, meh. Scottish brewers don't use peated malt. It was the Americans that started that.

I'm sure it's great and most importantly, you're happy with it. :mug:

I know it's not supposed to have peated malt. Don't care. I live in Holland. I wanted to give it a super subtle turfy vibe, which we associate with highlands and scotch. And indeed: it tastes wonderful and I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back