Fermenting 15 gallons and equal distribution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
I am about to do my first 15 gallon brew day on sunday with my new system. My only concern is getting a consistent mixing of yeast cell count when I transfer to my fermenters. I have one 20 gallon fermenter bucket but its damn impossible to move once its full (I tryed moving it today and it has 15 gallons EdWorts Apfelwien in it).
Do most of you guys pitch the yeast in the kettle and mix, then drain into each fermenter or pitch into each carboy or use large fermenters.

I split my ten gallon batches into two fermentors then pitch to each individually.

Does anyone use the big fermentors or just lots of buckets and carboys?

I currently have two 10 gallon corny kegs I am converting into fermenters. But I've done split batchers (smaller ones) into two 5 gallon corny's.

I don't see why you couldn't pitch yeast into the kettle as long as it was cooled to the correct pitching temp. But I also don't see any problem with pitching into two separeate fermenters. How is your yeast prepared; smack packs, starters, dry? Should be simple as measuring half and dumping into aeach fermenter.

Unless there's something I'm missing.

I pitch 90% dry yeast and couldn't pitch into the kettle. Since I fill the fermenters from the bottom ball valve on the kettle, only the last fermenter would get the yeast. Even with stirring, I wouldn't be certain that each would get the proper amount of yeast. So I stir to try to thwart any gravity striation and then transfer to the fermenters then pitch. It allows me to play with different yeasts on the same batch.

Ok yeah that makes sense. I fill my fermentors with my bottom ball valve aswell and was wondering how this would work for me. I think im just gonna have to split the yeast and pitch the starter into all 3 fermentors.

If you're making a starter I would swirl it then immediately divide into the proper portions based on how many fermenters you are using. After it's divided, pitch away.

Latest posts

Back