Fermenters Froze - Odd Outcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had brewed a Belgian White 10G and an IIPA 10G
The beer was in stainless kegmenters.

When I went to cold crash, evidently there was a problem and by box cooled everything down to ~26 and I found it several days later when I went to keg the beer, both kegmenters, frozen pretty much solid.

I turned off the box and opened the doors so that they could thaw.
Then after several days, I turned the box on again and chilled them to ~36.

When I transfer from the kegmenters, I use a jumper hose and fill both, in series. (When I clean kegs, I'll clean a bunch of them, put them up clean, sanitized and purged, stored pressurized.)

The IIPA one keg was amazingly clear and more of a pale ale, the other keg was a bit hazy, super hoppy and has a real punch to it. Seemingly like one keg got most of the hoppines and alcohol. Don't know which was which in the order that they came out of the kegmenter, just know that it happened, and don't have an explanation either. (The IIPA was primarily Golden Promise and Idaho 7 hops)

The Belgian white is really clear as well, although I haven't sampled the second keg. (It's the one that has several yeasts that I posted in another thread)

Yes it seems like that's what happened. Its a sort of cold destination separating alcohol and water. After defrosting it should go back to normal, but in case there is nothing that mixes the two part back together there could be an uneven distribution in the keg explaining the change of taste

Yes it seems like that's what happened. Its a sort of cold destination separating alcohol and water. After defrosting it should go back to normal, but in case there is nothing that mixes the two part back together there could be an uneven distribution in the keg explaining the change of taste

That sounds like a plausible explanation.

Latest posts

Back