Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rponcejr

Reaction score
What fermenter do y'all prefer glass plastic? Thinking of getting two fastferment fermenter since it can do two stages. Also thinking of getting two speidel plastic fermenter. Just feel glass gives better quality beer. Is there a difference

I have a bunch but I like my SS Brewtech and Big Mouth Bubbler fermenters the most.
Wish I could afford a true SS Conical but until then, use what you like and make great beer.

How does that work exactly? Do you just put your wort with yeast into it then let it ferment?

Is it better then glass?

this one looks cool but looks like it is complicated.

Thanks!

-Altrez

Stainless is best, then plastic. Glass is too heavy and expensive, plus it can have painful results. I have used glass carboys in the past; but I feel glass is just dangerous. Plastic equiment is fine and will last a long time if properly cared for.

If you have money, go stainless.

I use plastic. Eventually (when you can smell the previous batch too badly you need to replace them, but $8-12 isn't bad even if that is often.

A stainless conical is the best. Everything after that is a matter of opinion.

Plastic Bucket

Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Durable
  • Lower chance of injury
  • Easy to clean
  • Easy to obtain gravity samples
  • More tolerant of hot wort or cleaning solutions

Cons:
  • Not completely oxygen-impermeable. Beer can oxidize if left in bucket for long period
  • Lids can leak
  • Can't see state of beer without opening lid and risking infection/oxidation
  • Must be meticulous about avoiding scratching the plastic, can harbour infection-causing bacteria

Glass Carboy

Pros:
  • Easier to get completely clean (can scrub without risk of scratching)
  • Better protection from oxygen
  • Can see fermenting beer without exposing to oxygen/infection
  • Bungs can tightly seal, ensuring no leaks

Cons:
  • More expensive than buckets, although there are plenty of used ones for sale cheaply on Craigslist
  • Require extra care in handling, can be easily broken if dropped or thermally shocked
  • If broken, can be extremely dangerous
  • Heavier than a bucket

Plastic Carboy

Pros:
  • Can see fermenting beer
  • Lighter than a glass carboy
  • Less risk of breaking, less hazardous if it does break

Cons:
  • More expensive than a bucket
  • Not oxygen-impermeable
  • Can be scratched, risking infection

Personally, I prefer glass carboys. They're readily found cheaply on the secondary market, they're the best protection from oxidation and infection, can't be easily scratched, and seal up tightly. Their drawbacks are fairly easily mitigated (be careful handling them - duh), and cleaning is trivial (I don't even scrub; just fill with warm Oxyclean solution and leave it for a day. It cleans itself. The next day, rinse it a couple times, and it's showroom-ready). Ideally, you want the higher-quality Italian made ones, not the cheaper, thinner ones from Mexico or China.

How does that work exactly? Do you just put your wort with yeast into it then let it ferment?

Is it better then glass?

this one looks cool but looks like it is complicated.

Thanks!

-Altrez

It's works the same as most other fermenters. The conical at the bottom is supposed to get more beer off the yeast and make it easier to bottle or keg but honestly, all my beers have so much yeast/trub that I still need to use an autosiphon.
What I like about it is the ease of cleaning and unlike buckets that I keep for 12-18 months ditch because of fear of scratches hiding bacteria, this one is as easy as wash, PBW and dry. It size fits fine in my beer fridge so I can cold crash 2 fermenters at a time and the uber wide top makes things even easier.

Plastic siphonless big mouth made it so easy transferring from primary to my keg!
View attachment 351458

I have and do the same thing.

I run from the spout to a liquid-out ball lock connector which sends the beer through the dip tube to the bottom of the keg; I crack the lid a bit to let out air/CO2 as the keg fills and this is about as oxygen-free as I can get it.

In fact, I fill the keg first w/ StarSan, use CO2 to push it out into a bucket or another keg, and then I have a keg full of Co2 and virtually no oxygen. As the beer goes into the keg through the dip tube, it's exposed to no oxygen at all.

When I first saw this on HBT, I knew it was how I wanted to do it.

Stainless steel would be nice, but I have a couple of buckets that I use mainly for wine and 7 Better Bottles. That would be almost $2000 in stainless.

There should be no difference in your beer no matter what the material of your fermenter.

Glass - never!! It is just too dangerous to risk.

I rarely do a secondary.

I'm kinda a traditionalist as I prefer glass over plastic. Some of my glass carboys date back to the 70's and are as good today as they were new. This is one area of homebrewing that you will not find a consistent answer to. The only downside using carboys for me is that they are a PITA to clean as I'm still using a carboy brush. This will soon change as I've just acquired about 10 new carboys.

I love to see the show the yeasties are putting on when they are active. Brewing is kinda boring in a bucket. I also prefer to secondary. It's a choice you have to make. Both vessels have their perks.

Happy brewing.

I've got glass 1 gallon, 3 gallon Better Bottle, and a 30l Spiedel. I like glass for the 1 gallon, but wont go bigger, too much risk of breaking. I do like the Better Bottle, thinking about picking up a bigger one, 6 gallon if they make one. Only downfall is having to siphon out. The Spiedel is nice, but I'm not sure yet if it was worth the price. The extra capacity is nice if you want to brew an extra gallon or so, and no worry about blowoff as there is plenty of head space. Plus there is the spigot so no siphoning. I personally don't like buckets, so I don't even go there. They all got their advantages and disadvantages, guess you got to figure out what works for you.

If you have an extra fridge but an inkbird temp control and use that fridge to ferment

I think stainless conicals a are the best, then plastic and if you absolutely have to, glass. I don't think glass are worth the risk of an injury.

Check out the Fermonster at Adventures In Homebrewing. They have it other places too. It's similar to the plastic Big Mouth Bubbler. I had 2 Big Mouths and both leaked at the lid so you may have a krausen and no bubbles. Also after about 8-10 batches each they cracked! Maybe I got them from a bad batch? But the Fermonster has a gasket for the lid and has a more durable feel to it in my opinion. Hope I'm right!

I haven't used anything but plastic buckets. As others have said, there is no wrong answer. I really want stainless but would rather spend money on other things right now. Stainless, plastic and glass will do the job the same. You can pretty much do all the same things with each...expect glass won't have a spigot. You can do closed pressurized transfers with all 3.

And how do you control temperature?

Well, luckily in a room that is pretty close to 68° this time of year. Haven't quite figured out what we will do in the warmer months. This was our first batch. Mostly going to be brewing IPA's. But the room is also very dark...

Well, luckily in a room that is pretty close to 68° this time of year. Haven't quite figured out what we will do in the warmer months. This was our first batch. Mostly going to be brewing IPA's. But the room is also very dark...

If the air temp is 68°, your beer is probably around 75° which is a little too high. Look up swamp cooler. Cheap and effective.

I've got half dozen glass carboys still, a better bottle w/spigot for sanitizer, a plastic never used siphonless widemouth whatever, and a couple 7.9 gallon Speidel fermenters. I use the Speidels mostly. Using those, I rack to corny keg and dry prime a dozen bombers for the rest. That easily leaves enough beer left to swirl around then pour a couple quarts of slurry which is used for the next couple batches.

I have a 5 gallon glass carboy that I picked up for $6 brand new when the Michigan Homebrewing Company and their supply store 'Things Brewed' was still in business, along with a couple 5 gallon buckets. I like using the carboy so I can see what the beer is doing without having to crack open a bucket lid and risk contaminating anything. The only drawback, as everyone else has mentioned, is how damned heavy glass is, and the risk of breakage.

I think stainless conicals a are the best, then plastic and if you absolutely have to, glass. I don't think glass are worth the risk of an injury.

I think clear PET plastic (better bottles etc)has actually the best combination of price, convenience, safety, quality, mobility/weight and efficiency.

I started with glass (still have three glass car boys) and used stainless steel.
But plastic is best.

I never tried plastic buckets (I have two but never wanted to ferment in those) - not transparent, cannot be sure if they are sealed properly etc.

Stainless steel conical - not transparent, too stationary and too expensive.

glass may be nice and easy to clean but too fragile and heavy.

I used a glass Carboy once that I got for free. I had not imagined how heavy that thing would be with 5.5 gallons of beer. Sold it locally and got the big mouth.

I believe those stainless brew buckets from SS Brewtech will be what I eventually upgrade to. They seem like a good compromise.

Do you need a 6.5 gallon carboy for 5 gallon batches? Just curious...

yes - at least 6G. You will have blow-off and will lose quite a bit of beer during fermentation if you top it off to the top. And you will also lose at least 0.5G or so to the trub.

So if you want 5G to go into your keg or bottles, you need 6, ideally 6.5G fermentor.

Back