Fermenter upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjusa

Reaction score
I'm looking for an additional fermenter or two, I'm looking at either the fermonster 7 gallon or the polypropylene 7.9 gallon bucket that comes with the spigot, plug, and airlock from morebeer.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/plastic-bucket-fermenter-spigot-79-gallons-30.html
I'm not sure which to go with and if i choose the fermonster, I'm not sure if i want to stick with a non-spigot setup(I'm just using buckets right now, or if i should switch to a spigot and be able to do closed transfers to my kegs for beer and straight to bottles with my wine. I want to avoid glass so I'm looking at these as alternatives.

I really like having the spigot myself - and at least it gives you the option. I have a few of the Speidel 7.9 gal, and use the spigot every time now.

On the Fermonster, I've never used one of the carboy carriers, but I'd rather have some good solid built in handles.

The comments about needing to prop up the bucket or turn the spigot sideways for the Morebeer bucket worry me a little bit, but I had good size spill once due to a similar issue, so may just be biased LOL

Dont know what your budget is but I've had a fastferment 7.9 gallons for almost 3 yrs and it's really a good fermenter .

I really like having the spigot myself - and at least it gives you the option. I have a few of the Speidel 7.9 gal, and use the spigot every time now.

On the Fermonster, I've never used one of the carboy carriers, but I'd rather have some good solid built in handles.

The comments about needing to prop up the bucket or turn the spigot sideways for the Morebeer bucket worry me a little bit, but I had good size spill once due to a similar issue, so may just be biased LOL
I think I'd just throw a little more grain (to account for higher volume) and wort into the fermenter and not worry about tipping. Hopefully that would equate to a clear beer into the keg.

Dont know what your budget is but I've had a fastferment 7.9 gallons for almost 3 yrs and it's really a good fermenter .
I like that one and the fermentasaurus looks interesting as well. I'm probably going to buy two of whatever i get because i regularly have a couple going at a time and those are out of my budget currently knowing I'll get multiple. I guess i could get one of each and see which i prefer but I'd rather get 2 i know would be good.

I put on a spigot on my fastferment that was given to me and it was an awesome advantage . I kegged from it . Closed transfer .

Well i ended up going with the bucket fermenter option because i got 3 of them for the price of 2 fermonsters. Also had a coupon so i got new transfer tubing to go with it so i should be all set for closed transfers.

Beer line from spigot to beer out post . Gas line into the top of the airlock from the gas post of keg . Basically taking the co2 from fermenter and adding it back to the top . I've also hooked up the gas line from a small tank at about 2 psi to the top of the airlock .

I just kegged my first beer from the fermonster. It worked well but it would be nice if I had a carrier for it. Also, I'd suggest getting the lid wrench they sell because it was a pain to finally loosen that thing.

Back