Fermenter too Full

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
Total beginner mistake just happened.

So I tried my hand at harvesting a starter using brulosphers method and calculators and it said to make a 2L starter and harvest .5L.
That leaves 1.5L of starter to add to my wort.

Well stupid me didn't account for the 1.5L starter when doing my calculations now my fermenter is way too full.

Should I leave it until I see fermentation or should I empty some now before I have too big of a mess on my hands?

It depends on your setup. I'm assuming you know there isn't enough headspace. If it's a carboy, you could use a blow-off tube and just let the excess escape. Probably the same for a bucket, but maybe not really normal. I'll caution: I once had the stopper blow out even with a blow-off tube. I transferred the hops from the boil kettle, and apparently that plugged the tube. I think it was a 3/8" tube.

It works best to chill the harvested yeast or the starter for one or two days. After the yeast drops out you can decant most of the spent wort. Just leave enough of the wort to swirl up the yeast in for pouring into the fermentor.

It works best to chill the harvested yeast or the starter for one or two days. After the yeast drops out you can decant most of the spent wort. Just leave enough of the wort to swirl up the yeast in for pouring into the fermentor.

Will definitely be doing that next time.

Back