Fermenter problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redman1340

Reaction score
New to this and I am not sure what to do. My second batch is in the fermenter and today I have everything coming out my airlock. My first batch never did this. What should I do?

remove the airlock and set it up with a blow off tube. that is tube that runs from the top of your fermentor into a bucket or bottle of sanitizing solution. This will allow any krausen to safely run into the bucket bottle. after the fermentation has slowed down, you can replace it with a normal airlock.

If you have a blow off hose you can use instead of an airlock, make the switch... sanitizing the hose first of course. Otherwise, apart from the mess it's ok for the moment. Basically, as long as the CO2 and stuff is coming out, nothing is getting in... keep the mess cleaned up as much as possible, then, when activity subsides a bit, either slap a fresh airlock on it or quickly clean/sanitize/replace that one.

Thanks for the help. Did switch it to the blow off method. Will have it ready for the time if this happens.

I set up all of my brews with blowoff tubes for the first 3-6 days of fermentation.

Happy brewing!

Back